Champagne yeast for high Gravity RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentoni

Reaction score
I am brewing an OG 1.110 RIS. I pitched California ale yeast initially, but will obviously need to re pitch after that yeast goes inactive...I have 2 packets of red star dry champagne yeast I was going to pitch in. The question is, do I have to rack the beer off of the first yeast cake before I pitch the champagne yeast or can I toss it in with the wlp 001? Will it produce off flavors if I don't?

Secondary question, has anyone done this? And how long does it take for the red star champagne yeast to chew through the rest of the sugar?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1056? S-05? As long as you pitched the correct cell count, I don't see why you'd necessarily need to add a second strain. Either of those could theoretically get the proper attenuation for that beer-- depending on factors like mash temp and pitch rate

I'm doing that right now with a 1.13 RIS. Once it hit around 11% my 1056 started giving up, so i racked it into a new fermenter and added some rehydrated champagne yeast. I'll let it sit for a few weeks and check the gravity and see whats happening, but I've done this for a 16% quad before and it worked great.

The guy at the brew store said I could just pour the dry red star yeast into the wort...is that the case or do I need to hydrate it somehow.

I'm doing that right now with a 1.13 RIS. Once it hit around 11% my 1056 started giving up, so i racked it into a new fermenter and added some rehydrated champagne yeast. I'll let it sit for a few weeks and check the gravity and see whats happening, but I've done this for a 16% quad before and it worked great.

Did you see activity/krausen like you did in the first pitch? I pitched the dry yeast directly in and haven't seen any movement...could be that a lot of the sugars have been eaten up already...would the yeast do anything adverse to the beer if this is the case? Also, I have had a tough time keeping my fermenter box up above 62...it got cold here. I went and got a heating blanket to put in there today to raise the temp. Hopefully that works...Would it being around 60 degrees cause it to not go active?

I saw a little activity in the airlock for a few days but not a whole lot. No krausen to speak of, but it did drop the gravity from around 1.030ish to 1.016 after 2 weeks. Fermenting between 66 and 68 degrees

I know it's too late for this time around, but i think rehydrating would be better. I expect you'll get a lot of yeast die off from pitching directly into such a harsh environment, which will mean fewer cells to do the work you want and potential for off flavors from the dead yeast.

So do you think it's best to move it off to secondary now?

Or get more dry yeast and reconstitute that and throw it in?

1056? S-05? As long as you pitched the correct cell count, i don't see why you'd necessarily need to add a second strain. Either of those could theoretically get the proper attenuation for that beer-- depending on factors like mash temp and pitch rate

+1

Back