Champagne bottles + caps... do I have the right gear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
I have a bunch of these bottles:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/750-green-champagne.html

Can I just use regular 26mm caps and my red baron capper with the standard 26mm bell and 26mm metal tabs? I've had to flip the 26mm tabs over to the 29mm for the NB Belgian bottles but they still used the standard bell and caps.... which confused the hell out of me.

Just wondering before I get rolling bottling a dark strong and find out I need more gear.

The best way to figure out what cap it takes would be to put a cap on it and see if it fits. I have a bunch of champagne bottles that take the 26mm. I have seen a lot of 29mm bottles also.

The best way to figure out what cap it takes would be to put a cap on it and see if it fits. I have a bunch of champagne bottles that take the 26mm. I have seen a lot of 29mm bottles also.

I've shattered some stuff with my hamfists bottling before.... since they were from a popular homebrew site, just trying to snag intel before I go cap some

It just seems like you could check the caps on the bottle and see if they fit. As for if your capper can cap them that's another story. I have a 29mm bell that fits in my drill press. It works great.

Finally got off my ass to test them.

The linked Northern Brewer bottles in the OP utilize a 26mm cap BUT you need to turn the lip grabber flaps (or whatever they are called) over to 29mm. Your screw on bell remains 26mm. That config will cap and not shatter the hell out of the bottle necks.

Finally got off my ass to test them.

The linked Northern Brewer bottles in the OP utilize a 26mm cap BUT you need to turn the lip grabber flaps (or whatever they are called) over to 29mm. Your screw on bell remains 26mm. That config will cap and not shatter the hell out of the bottle necks.

Yep, I've found that to be the case for most 26mm champagne style bottles. The 29mm neck plates are required because of the large flared section on the neck.

While we're at it....

How much can you safely carb a champagne bottle? Lets talk CO2 volumes

4?

Back