Centennial/simcoe single makt ipa critique.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D5000

Reaction score
Would love to hear opinions on this recipe.
10 gallon batch

27 lbs vienna

1/2 oz magnum first wort hops
3oz simcoe @ 15 min
3 oz centennial @ 15 min
3 oz simcoe at flame out
3 oz centennial during whirlpool

2 teaspoons gypsum in the boil kettle

3 oz cent - 1 oz simcoe dry hop per keg

Mash @ 152

Us-05 yeast

All late hops and FWH, nice. What are your IBUs? I like the simple malt bill, too. Does the 4 oz dry hop per keg mean you're doing 8 oz per 10 gal? That's 2x more than I ever do - that much dry hop mass on a mid-sized beer MIGHT lead to a grassy taste (?). I'd be curious what others think on that. Love the hop combo with just Vienna, though.

Thanks for the input Omahawk.
IBU's are around 85. That May be a little higher than I am shooting for actually.
I may also cut back on the dry hops.
I can always add more in the keg down the road if I feel I need them.
Thanks again.

Yeah, good luck. 4 oz per 5 gallons might be really nice - I usually do 2 to 2.5 oz for a dry hopped APA or IPA. Don't think I've done 4 oz - I might really like it.

My only other advice is that you can dry hop too long -- make sure if you put them in the keg, pull them after 7-10 days. I recall that you can extract tannins from dry hops that stay in suspension too long.

I suspect you will have a lot less IBUs than you are calculaing. I find FWHs don't give much, and everything is 15 minutes and in.

Your IBUs are not going to be much different than using a single addition of 2 ozs of a 12% hop in 10 gallons.

It is alot of beer. Make sure you know what to expect from it.

almost all your ibu's are from late additions. it won't be bitter. i've done this experiment with fwh and all late additions. those batches came out needing more bitterness and missing a bit of that stick to your tongue hop flavor.

try getting 30-40 ibus from bittering. i would also cut back to 2oz of dry hop per keg. i've never been able to get much more out of dry hops when adding more than 2oz. typically i dry hop with whatever is left over from the flavor additions so i don't have to put opened bags in the fridge.

On a 10 gallon batch, 1/2 oz of even a higher-alpha hop like Magnum shouldn't be contributing a very high % of the total estimated IBUs. I'm not convinced there is a ton on perceived vs. estimated IBU sensitivity due to the FWH addition in this case. I would guess that only about 15% of the estimated IBUs are coming from the FWH magnum in this recipe. D5000 - how many IBUs are you supposed to be getting from the FWH Magnum? Those are some pretty high alpha 15 minute additions, I'm guessing you're getting at least 60 IBU right there.

Along those lines, I've tried FWH my last couple of batches of APA, and noticed the perceived vs. measured IBU contradiction. Despite the fact that FWH is supposed to contribute a higher measured level of bitterness (≈ +10%) compared to a full 60-90 min boil addition, it does come out very smooth and restrained. For these two batches, when calculating my IBU target, typically about 45 IBUs for me on a 1.055 SG APA, I've basically deducted about half of the value of the FWH addition.

My FWH for these 5 gallon batches has been 1oz of a lower alpha cascade that was estimated to contribute 17 IBU, so I adjusted my later hop additions to assume that I was really only contributing about 8 to 9 IBUs from the FWH. So BeerSmith said I had 50 IBU, when it tastes more like a 40-45 IBU beer.

Along those lines, I've tried FWH my last couple of batches of APA, and noticed the perceived vs. measured IBU contradiction. Despite the fact that FWH is supposed to contribute a higher measured level of bitterness (≈ +10%) compared to a full 60-90 min boil addition, it does come out very smooth and restrained. For these two batches, when calculating my IBU target, typically about 45 IBUs for me on a 1.055 SG APA, I've basically deducted about half of the value of the FWH addition.

My FWH for these 5 gallon batches has been 1oz of a lower alpha cascade that was estimated to contribute 17 IBU, so I adjusted my later hop additions to assume that I was really only contributing about 8 to 9 IBUs from the FWH. So BeerSmith said I had 50 IBU, when it tastes more like a 40-45 IBU beer.

In beersmith, I put the boil time for my FWHs as 20 mins, and then l don't have to mentally re-calculate the IBUs.

Back