Centennial Hops = Soapy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moreb33rplz

Reaction score
I stopped using Centennial in my brews few years ago when I discovered they always seem to impart a soapy flavor in my brews. I drank a commercial beer last night with Centennial, and yep, soap city.

Am I the only one who gets this? I don't get the soap/cilantro thing for what its worth.

I've heard of it from different folks on HBT. The comparison to cilantro sounds pretty correct to the folks who mention it. I feel bad for you. I love centennial.

I've had IPAs that had a distinct soap flavor to them. That was back in the late 90's. Can't recall experiencing that recently.

I do get cat pee from citra if it was used in the boil and it's getting old (like 6 weeks+). I cannot drink a 6 week old bottle of Zombie Dust. Same with Pseudo Sue....has to be super fresh or it gets drain poured. I had a guy give me a case of ZD. I opened the first one and was like "Nope". I looked at the date and they were 6 months old. I dumped the entire case.

Back