Centennial/Cascade- I gots lots!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
So here's the deal. I was going through my hop stores last night and I'm sitting on a pound each of Centennial and Cascade 2008 whole leaf. I need to come up with a recipe to puts some of these lovely juicy C hops.

Something decidedly American to off-set my tendency to brew all things English. :D

Disclaimer: I don't brew many IPAs and APAs so my formulation might be out of whack. Don't hesitate to tell me I'm a numpty. :D

I'm brewing this to commemorate the Roses' 7-0 fall Season and looking forward to a kick-ass spring.

I present to you..... Scrum Bag IPA!

[size=+2]Scrum Bag IPA[/size]
[size=+1]14-B American IPA[/size]
Author: Jason
Date: 2/5/09

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 220.15 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.066 (1.056 - 1.075)
|================#===============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.018)
|====================#===========|
Color: 11.8 (6.0 - 15.0)
|==================#=============|
Alcohol: 6.51% (5.5% - 7.5%)
|================#===============|
Bitterness: 65.3 (40.0 - 70.0)
|=====================#==========|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
11 lb Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
10 oz Caramel Munich 60L
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.5 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]

00:03:00 Mash-In - Liquor: 3.63 gal; Strike: 164.59 °F; Target: 152 °F
01:00:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 70.0 °F
01:03:00 Sparge - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 150 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #1: 2.7 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #2: 2.7 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.87 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2[/size]

The recipe looks good to me- but I'm a hophead so what do I know?

But, like someone else posted today, sometimes too much centennial in late additions (read dryhop in your case!) tastes floral. To me, 1.5 ounces of centennial dryhopping might have you saying, "I taste ****ing flowers!" which is what I said when I did something similar. I would definitely use some cascade for dryhopping.

Besides, I wanted to take this opportunity to call you a numpty! (What's a numpty?)

I wouldn't go TOO crazy with Crystal... Maybe some munich like stated above... I'm a big fan of .5 lb Crystal 80 and .5 lb Carapils in my IPAs...

Points for coming up with a great name.

I like the idea of adding either some Munich or maybe wheat, but not much more. I'm a fan of keeping things simple.

Sorry, just got back from the gym! Poured myself a nice pint of Alaskan Smoked Porter and settling into HBT again.

With Maris Otter as my base malt, I think adding Munich or Vienna would be unnecessary and redundant; I could see that addition if I was using good old American 2-row.

I prefer simple uncomplicated grists, personally; in my mind, an American IPA should be all about the big, juicy hop aroma and firm bitterness. Too many components and I think things get muddied.

Lorena, a numpty is an idiot, more or less. A simpleton who has no clue.
:mug:

I'll be disseminated if I don't get a taste of this hoppiness! You, my good sir, are no numpty!

*EDIT* Days later, I am the numpty! Disappointed is the word I was thinking of... */EDIT*

Final changes made to the OP; substituted Crystal 60 with Caramunich 60L.

That's it. Tomorrow it's on like Donkey Kong. No time to make a starter so I'm going with a packet of US-05.

Keep us posted, the simple grain bill intrigues me as I'll be coming into a large amount of these hops soon.

Enjoy the brew :).

You caused the hop shortage, with your excessive hop buying! Buying 2 pounds of American goodness when you brew mainly English beers. Shame on you.:D

Back