Centennial Blonde - With Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_57401

Reaction score
Hello.

I brewed a batch of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde a few months ago. It turned out nice.

I now have a 3 qt starter of 2124 lager yeast which is begging to be put into work. I am thinking of using it in the Centennial Blonde recipe, but wonder if I should change the hopping to a more noble profile, with it being a lager and all.

Anyone try this? Thoughts?

Got it. Wyeast recommends a max temp of 55 if shooting for a lager profile using 2124.

I took a look at the thread with this recipe. Seems that the hop combo is pretty popular. Maybe just dial back the amount used by halving the additions or maybe cutting out the 35 or 20 minute additions?

That's a good thought. I am just a bit leery of C-hops in a lager. I know some brewers bitter with Cascade, even for lagers, which is fine, but I wasn't sure about the flavor additions. Maybe it will be fine, as we are not talking about big additions.

I suspect I'll change the hop schedule to bitter with magnum or horizon, and finish with Liberty or Saaz. Magnum and Saaz works well in lagers for me, maybe I'll even FWH with the finish hops.

I did this several years ago. BM's Centennial Blonde with Saflager German dry yeast. Came out "OK". Was good, but not good enough I ever made it again. But still...I say give it a go.

The more I think about it, the more I am talking myself out of the c-hops. I'll update on the final recipe after I brew it in a few days,

I brewed a Cascadian lager few months ago, and it turned out very good. no DH to keep clean beer, but a lot at end boil, and the zesty taste was clean and awesome.

I am the OP, posting under my name on a different computer (don't remember the password on the other acct...)

Anyway, I brewed this on Monday evening, using 1/2 oz of Liberty 4.9 at 60 minutes, and 1/2 oz of Liberty at 20-30 minutes. It is fermenting happily at 55 degrees.

At 3 weeks, it was crisp and clean (used Brulosopher's fast lager ferment schedule). It is just a bit better now at one month old.

Only drawback is, it is a bit too clean...

At 3 weeks, it was crisp and clean (used Brulosopher's fast lager ferment schedule). It is just a bit better now at one month old.

Only drawback is, it is a bit too clean...

I think you made a good choice. To be honest I brew a ton of lagers, use it in place of ale yeast all the time and at various temps, with lots of good results too I must say. One thing I've tried several times and haven't cared much for is using noble hops heavy on the finishing side. They tend to be kind of spicy and musty to my taste, not terrible but definately not the pleasentness I get from some of the American varities. I'm not saying it tastes "bad', and I'm not even saying that I'll never do it again; I guess what I'm trying to point out is, at least in my experience, the hop choice has a greater impact than the yeast in those types of beers.

Anyway glad it turned out great!

Back