Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of buying this recipe from Brewmasters Warehouse. I've never bought from there..any experience with this vendor? Also, does the grain come milled already from Brewmasters Warehouse?

brewmasters warehouse is awesome...definitely go for it.

grain comes milled for free if you want (specify at checkout).

Ok...this is my next brew (2nd all grain). Something the SWMBO will enjoy! I noticed the recipe calls for 0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L, but my LHBS only has 20L. Any adjustments need to be made for that?

I brewed this today, wort came out spectacularly clear and everything went to plan, until I went to find the yeast I ordered... uh oh. Seems that my olhbs forgot to put the yeast in the box! All I had was a packet of Windsor. Has anyone brewed this with Windsor before?

Cheers,
H

I am going to brew this as 5 gallon AG tomorrow using a new electric herms system I just put together and I need a little advice.

I entered this into Beersmith (my first try) and selected "Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body" as my mash profile. I thought it was closest to what Herms does. Beersmith says to start by mashing in with water at 161.4 and then do a 60 minute mash at 150 ('ll be recirculating through the Herms coil at 150). It then says raise the mash temp to 168 over the next 10 minutes and then sparge for another 10 minutes with 168 sparge water. (I'll probably just sparge until I have my boil volume and the wort starts to lose color)

Does this sound good ?

Thanks

Bill

I am looking to brew this or something similar and would love to reuse the S05 I just washed. Any thoughts on that?

I've got a pretty big question: What if I did a 5 gallon batch of this and topped off with 5 gallons of water lol? Would that still work, because it sure would make it a lot easier with only 5-gallon equipment. I'd bump the hops up to 1oz or so each addition if I did this. Would it work? lol

Just have to chime in, I got this brewed up and after a month in the keg it just keeps getting better and better. I thought this would be a good brew for my friends, but now any domestic beer I drink just doesnt cut it compared to this one. It will certainly be on regular rotation ..

cb.jpg

Thanks BM !!!

I gave SWMBo a glass of CB...

5 minutes later she tells me I'm not allowed to stop brewing EVAR!!!

"Even if its only for me."

BM - thats about as good a compliment as you can get.:mug:

I've got a pretty big question: What if I did a 5 gallon batch of this and topped off with 5 gallons of water lol? Would that still work, because it sure would make it a lot easier with only 5-gallon equipment. I'd bump the hops up to 1oz or so each addition if I did this. Would it work? lol

Don't laugh. I'm scaling up my 10 gallon concentrations on this recipe and my C-of-3C's with the intent of brewing a stronger 11 gallon batch and then topping off to get 16.5 gallons for three-corny fills. With such a light grain bill it should be easy to do a
partial boil [unquote] and add water to get a higher yield. Why not get 15 gallons out of a 10 gallon brew session? :D

Don't laugh. I'm scaling up my 10 gallon concentrations on this recipe and my C-of-3C's with the intent of brewing a stronger 11 gallon batch and then topping off to get 16.5 gallons for three-corny fills. With such a light grain bill it should be easy to do a
partial boil [unquote] and add water to get a higher yield. Why not get 15 gallons out of a 10 gallon brew session? :D

Well I can actually see that happening, but 5 gallons on top of 5? That sounds like it wouldn't turn out? Do you think doing a 10 gallon grain bill for 5 gallons and topping off would be okay?

Well I can actually see that happening, but 5 gallons on top of 5? That sounds like it wouldn't turn out? Do you think doing a 10 gallon grain bill for 5 gallons and topping off would be okay?

If you keep all other factors equal you will get less bitterness out of a 10 gallon grain bill in a 5 gallon boil then topping up - hop utilization goes down w/ increased boil gravity. You can compensate, but its not as simple as 10 gal grain bill and 10 gal hopping schedule.

If you keep all other factors equal you will get less bitterness out of a 10 gallon grain bill in a 5 gallon boil then topping up - hop utilization goes down w/ increased boil gravity. You can compensate, but its not as simple as 10 gal grain bill and 10 gal hopping schedule.

Yeah, I listed a few posts back that I'd probably increase to 1oz additions if I did, but I'm more afraid of flavor going away.

I'm getting ready to brew this. This will be my first time adjusting my water to a desired style. What city should I pick as a target? I'm using EZ Water Adjustment.

I guessed Pilsen, or Burton.

What if I try to do 6.5-7 gallons (AG) on a 10 gallon grain bill and top off up to 10 gallons? It'd probably work that way?

BM - thanks for the great recipe! I've brewed this up twice now but this last batch I substituted some Williamette I had lying around for the Centennial. I took it to a super bowl party in my rolling kegerator (along with some honey kolsch) and it was a huge hit. Thanks again.

Hey Gang, I was putting the numbers into Beer Smith. I've increased the batch size to 6 gallons and added an extra pound of 2 Row Pale Malt everything else is the same as BM recommended Centenial Alpha 9.0% Cascade 7.5%, but the program is estimating IBU's at 18.3. Is this just soft ware issues or am I missing something? trying to keep total water Through Mash tun to 3.3qt/lb.

This has turned into our house beer. It is good and reliable, always turns out smooth. We use Nottingham yeast with good results. I particularly like the way the Notty settles into a good, solid cake at the bottom of the fermenters. Since we started brewing the Centennial with the Notty yeast we have given up filtering to the kegs. We get clear beer from the primary after two weeks. In our experience it is drinkable as soon as we can get it carbed, and only gets better with age. It gets completely clear after three weeks in the fridge.

Thanks BierMuncher. This recipe has been a real success for us. In my opinion, the Centennial should be one of the first beers a newbie to all-grain should brew. All the friends will be impressed, the wife wife will approve, and you get great encouragement to continue in your new hobby.

Question on PH...

I tested our water and PH is low 4.9. What should it be for this beer and suggestion on what to add to get there ?

Thanks

Hello everyone!

I have been brewing for a while and in the last few months have started into the AG world. My first few attempts were with a buddy that has far more AG experience. My last three AG batches have suffered various issues - all of them my own dumb fault. My question concerns the clarity of the beer. I have a very similar recipe and I find it a tad cloudy. Would a protein rest resolve this haze? Just curious.

Pikeman94

I'll be starting my AG brewing with this beer. After reading this thread and seeing the success eveyrone has had, I have high confidence in this recipe. My wife is a beer gal (lucky me!) though she prefers less hop-forward beers. So this will likely go into heavy rotation.

But, since I can't leave wlel enough alone, I'll likely fiddle with the recipe. I've always wanted to do something with Saaz hops. "Saazy Blonde", anyone? ;) I'll use Brew Target to make sure I sub out the correct amount to retain the balance. Don't know whether to swap the Centennial or Cascade though.

What do you guys think about this beer for a newbie like me? I'm still working on my first batch of beer and have never tried an AG beer before. If I did this one, it would be my second batch I've ever brewed. Would I be getting in over my head? Thanks!

This is a great first beer because the results are so positive. The difficulty is measuring out the grain bill and hops schedule. The home brew shop can help with that if you aren't buying in bulk, and if you are, just don't start drinking until all the measuring and weighing is done.

As to switching out the hops to Saaz or something else, one of the benefits of this beer for our brewery is how fast it becomes drinkable. It is ready to drink as quickly as it is cooled and carbed, and gets better over the next two weeks, if it lasts that long. I seem to recall the recipe god Beer Munchier said it had to do with how well the Centennial hops worked. Hopefully he can drop in with an opinion on that.

Thanks for the awesome recipe. I am enjoying one of these right now. This is such a clean and subtle beer that goes down a little too easy. Love the subtle pleasant citrusy hop flavor.

I mashed at 151 and this came out a bit too dry with US-05; OG 1.042 and FG 1.007-1.008. I'm going to brew this again this summer and shoot for a mash temp of 153 to get a bit more body and sweetness!

Thanks for the awesome recipe. I am enjoying one of these right now. This is such a clean and subtle beer that goes down a little too easy. Love the subtle pleasant citrusy hop flavor.

I mashed at 151 and this came out a bit too dry with US-05; OG 1.042 and FG 1.007-1.008. I'm going to brew this again this summer and shoot for a mash temp of 153 to get a bit more body and sweetness!

Shorten your mash time down to 40 minutes as well. That make a big difference in controlling attenuation. :mug:

I made 5g of this yesterday. I had some confusing results which I figure I'd comment about. First I overshot the OG by a bit. I had about 1.054 instead of 1.040. I think this is primarily due to lack of control over my volumes. Yesterday was the first day I used a keggle. I did my best to approximate the sparge water, but only ended up with what I estimated to be 7.1g pre boil, and probably a little less than 5g post boil. I was shooting for 5.5g of course. Will need to refine my process a little and get used to dealing with volume in the keggle. Anyway against my better judgement I topped off the wort to bring the gravity closer to 1.040. I doubt this will really bother the beer too much, and next time I'll be a little more careful.

I made 5g of this yesterday. I had some confusing results which I figure I'd comment about. First I overshot the OG by a bit. I had about 1.054 instead of 1.040. I think this is primarily due to lack of control over my volumes. Yesterday was the first day I used a keggle. I did my best to approximate the sparge water, but only ended up with what I estimated to be 7.1g pre boil, and probably a little less than 5g post boil. I was shooting for 5.5g of course. Will need to refine my process a little and get used to dealing with volume in the keggle. Anyway against my better judgement I topped off the wort to bring the gravity closer to 1.040. I doubt this will really bother the beer too much, and next time I'll be a little more careful.

This is a pretty forgiving recipe so you'll probably be just fine.

By the way, if I don't remember...happy 5-year anniversary on HBT in June. Holy crap you're an old-timer. :D

Haha, thanks for noticing. I've been lurking around the forums for some time. Thanks for the contributions. I am thinking of making your cream ale next. I need an easy drinking house ale. And now that I have a keggle the 10 gallon batches will soon follow.

Bottled my first attempt at this on Saturday! Turned around and made another 5 gallons of it on Sunday! I brewed this to please SWMBO, because she fell in love with a Blonde Ale when we were in San Fran. I had her take a sip of the hydro sample after it fermented 2 weeks (I did warn her that it was green and flat)...and she liked it. Hence the second batch.... I think I may secondary and use gelatin on the second batch, just to ensure clarity. Also just to try out using the gelatin...wouldn't mind getting some of my beers a bit clearer! We can't wait to crack some cold ones open, and see how good they really are!

There is no local HBS within 2 hours of where I live that carries grain. A local liquor store does carry a few brew supplies but is out of 2 row. Can this recipe be done well using 6 row instead of 2 row? If so, should I make any other changes? I know I can order the grain but i really want to try this recipe out this weekend.

Any thoughts?

Brewed this today (and my family is kicking me out for brewing it). Got: 11 gallons, 87% efficiency, OG: 1.049. Nice.

Can I use either Galena Hops (13.1%) or Chinook Hops (11.5%) for the Centennial Hops in this recipe? I think I can use Beer Smith to determine the IBU equivalents but I don't know the profile of either of these hops and the centennial hops bag I purchased has a small tear in it that made the hops lose their odor. The is no LHBS near here for me to run out and buy more. I have to order by mail.

Back