Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell yes to gelatin

Did you just put the Gelatin in your keg when you racked? I would assume the first couple of glasses were cloudy tell everything that settled to the bottom of the keg came out first.

P.S. Thanks again Biermuncher for another great recipe. 641 posts strong

Did you just put the Gelatin in your keg when you racked? I would assume the first couple of glasses were cloudy tell everything that settled to the bottom of the keg came out first.

P.S. Thanks again Biermuncher for another great recipe. 641 posts strong

There is a large gelatin thread around the kegging forum, but I add my bloomed gelatin to my Primary (I don't use secondaries) for a couple days, then rack to keg. That way the crap that drops out doesn't make it to the keg. I just poured it in.

There is a large gelatin thread around the kegging forum, but I add my bloomed gelatin to my Primary (I don't use secondaries) for a couple days, then rack to keg. That way the crap that drops out doesn't make it to the keg. I just poured it in.

I will be giving that a try tonight for the first time. I had to dry hop in the primary so I knew I was going to extra help.

Thanks tons, just looking for the way that requires the least amount of transfering..

100_9947.JPG

You sure do got a purty beer.

That means a lot coming from you BM! Thanks again for several amazing recipes and a way to get them so clear. PM me your address, I'd love to know what you think of the all Simcoe Version. Least I can do for what you've done for my brewing :D

Looks like mine is done, surprised it got down to 1.010 FG. First batch ever I've gotten that low :rockin:

First thing I noticed: adding twice as many bittering hops was not a good mistake. Hopefully a time out for a month or so will fix that. I'm going to be kegging today/tomorrow, naturally carbonating so it should be ready to rock and roll by the end of the month.

Having used light extract instead of extra light I thought it would come out much darker - it didn't. Just a little darker then the pics I've seen so far but still pretty light.

just finished brewing this...my first attempt at AG. Hit the gravity (1.041 post boil), but boiled off about .5g more than i anticipated (ended up with a little under 5 gallons).

My LHBS was out of both Vienna and American 2-row pale, so i had to subsitute Munich for the Vienna and British 2-row for the American. Hopefully it turns out OK.

I just looked at my 2009 brew log, somehow I brewed / drank 45 gallons of this last year.
Cheers BM

Well.... That surely didn't last long. Brewed 11 gallons of the partial mash recipe a few weeks ago and it is all gone now :( Wish I would have brewed another batch right behind it but I didn't expect it to go that fast. It was the first 10+ gallon batch that I have brewed that went dry in less than 2 weeks.

Other than that, Everyone Loved It!! Thanks BM for the outstanding recipe!
:mug:

I just looked at my 2009 brew log, somehow I brewed / drank 45 gallons of this last year.
Cheers BM

Holy CRAP!!!:cross:

Well.... That surely didn't last long. Brewed 11 gallons of the partial mash recipe a few weeks ago and it is all gone now :( Wish I would have brewed another batch right behind it but I didn't expect it to go that fast. It was the first 10+ gallon batch that I have brewed that went dry in less than 2 weeks.

Other than that, Everyone Loved It!! Thanks BM for the outstanding recipe!
:mug:

Keep the pipeline full and your friends smiling. :mug:

Went to a surprise party fora friend this weekend and then about 10 people came back to our house afterwards. My Strict Coor's Light buddy kept telling me how, even though he only drinks Coor's Light, He could definitely drink this stuff all night after a couple Coor's. he said it's very good but a little too much flavor to start out with. :D He then expressed great interest in brewing in general and I had a great drunken time explaining the process and different yeasts (I have a lot of Trappist/Belgian bottles on the bar that he started asking about.) We kicked the original keg from New Years and switched over to number 2. I need to hurry up and get s few bottled for you before everyone kicks this one too.

my batch is fermenting nicely and has amazing smells coming from the airlock.

Anyone tried dryhopping this? I know i should just leave it alone, but i have a hard time doing that.

I added more hops- my version has 34 IBU & a higher starting gravity. (what can i say, i like hops!). oG 1.050

bottled it this weekend after 2 weeks in primary and some time in a bright tank (secondary). it is tasty but a bit too bitter right now. next time i won't increase the hops... as much :)

More good reviews last night. Another comment of "oh my, this is dangerous. You could drink this all night". Taking some to my strictly Busch Light FIL this weekend.

Started at 1.041 and after 6 days i'm down to 1.004..so, it's going to be a little stronger than expected at around 4.8%.

I also decided to dry hop with .65oz of simcoe pellets i had in the freezer. Should turn out nice.

On to secondary for me.. my first all grain batch ever. Boiled off too much, rookie me diluted it a little to get up to 5gal.. FG 1.009.

Tastes freakin great warm and flat, can't wait to get to the final product and enjoy the fruits of my (and BM's) labor.

Thanks again,

I just bought ingredients for a partial mash version from my LHBS (not exactly the cheapest place, but I like to support them) and it only came out to $28. Wow I think thats my cheapest yet. I can't wait to make this and try it out.

More good reviews last night. Another comment of "oh my, this is dangerous. You could drink this all night". Taking some to my strictly Busch Light FIL this weekend.

This beer was very well received by FIL this weekend. "Now this tastes like Draft Beer, your best one ever". He liked it very much. I may bottle up a 6 pack to take to them next weekend when we meet them at an RV show.

Just gotta say, did this with DME and it came out great. All the normal drinkers I know love it. Thanks BM!

Im planning on brewing this in the next couple of weeks. My dad always wonders how I can drink the dark, hoppy, and heavy beers that I typically make. Ive decided that I will slowly wean him on to those good brews starting with this one. It looks great! Very much looking forward to getting this one on tap.

Well my extract version of this seems to be finally done. Let it carb up naturally for almost 3 weeks. Took a sample off the keg before tossing it in the keezer and it's GOOD. I ended up adding twice as many bittering hops (and a little more flavor/aroma) but it still came out nice. When I make this again I'll probably keep the hops the same, maybe back off just a tad.

can't wait 'til it gets cold :ban:

Pulled off a pint last night (only a couple days worth of carbonation) and had a question. I'm getting a odd flavor. I don't want to say skunky, because that sounds negative, but it's similar flavor i pick up when i drink something like bell's oberon. If this make any sense...is this normal for this beer? I usually brew and buy hoppy stuff, so maybe I'm just not used to something lighter.

I couple could things i had to change/messed up that could be causing the flavor:

1. mashed too low---went from 150 down to 148 by the end..FG settled at 1.004.

2. had to switch up ingredients because LHBS was out of out of a lot. I substituted Munich for the Vienna and British 2-row for the American.

Any input from those who have made it? It sat in the primary for about 2 weeks at 60-64 degree...racked to the keg where it's been at 40 degree and 12psi for about 2-3 days.

Pulled off a pint last night (only a couple days worth of carbonation) and had a question. I'm getting a odd flavor. I don't want to say skunky, because that sounds negative, but it's similar flavor i pick up when i drink something like bell's oberon. ...

Any input from those who have made it? It sat in the primary for about 2 weeks at 60-64 degree...racked to the keg where it's been at 40 degree and 12psi for about 2-3 days.

I don't think those changes would make a big difference. Do you ferment in a bucket or a clear carboy?

If the beer was exposed to fluorescent lights, it may have been slightly skunked.

I'd say give it more time. The lighter nature of the beer means that any off flavors fro being immature will stand out more.

I don't think those changes would make a big difference. Do you ferment in a bucket or a clear carboy?

If the beer was exposed to fluorescent lights, it may have been slightly skunked.

I'd say give it more time. The lighter nature of the beer means that any off flavors fro being immature will stand out more.

Fermented in a bucket...no exposure to florescent light and a towel was covering the bucket from natural light most of the time.

I'll leave it alone for a week (ok, that's a lie--i'll probably try it again tonight)...it tastes good as is, just different than what I'm use to drinking. Once it carbs up I'll get some friends over to get their opinion. I'm always very critical of the stuff i brew.

Well I'm determined to brew something my wife will actually drink.... after reading several pages I think this is it. I'm mashing as we speak. Thanks for the recipe BM!

Fermented in a bucket...no exposure to florescent light and a towel was covering the bucket from natural light most of the time.

I'll leave it alone for a week (ok, that's a lie--i'll probably try it again tonight)...it tastes good as is, just different than what I'm use to drinking. Once it carbs up I'll get some friends over to get their opinion. I'm always very critical of the stuff i brew.

Tasting pretty damn good now. Fully carbed and the off-flavor i was describing is almost gone. It's a bit hazy since i didn't cold crash when i transferred, so i'm looking forward to seeing it in a couple weeks when everything has fully settled out (if it lasts that long...doubt it will:drunk:)

Great recipe. I'll definitely be brewing this again in a couple months when it gets warmer. It's a perfect spring/summer thirst quencher.

OK, planning this for my next brew and I read the whole thread (oh yes I did!) and I was wondering why the bittering hops are added at 55mins rather than 60mins. Is it an IBU tweak?

I brewed this as a partial mash I am wondering if I changed out the hops to a mix of perle and saaz. Obviously it wont be a centennial blond any more but the floral characteristics of the centennial were a little too much for me. Maybe I did something wrong.. I dunno

Brewed 5gal of this one on 1/23. Kegged yesterday. 6 days after I pitched, it was already at 1.010. I used S-05 and I have an oxygenation aeration system which seemed to help a lot. I added an extra .25 of Centennial at 60. But I got 87% eff so OG was 1.055. I'm at like 5.3% ABV. It tasted real nice before I kegged but I wonder if it would be a little smoother if i was at 4.3% ABV..

Brewed 5gal of this one on 1/23. Kegged yesterday. 6 days after I pitched, it was already at 1.010. I used S-05 and I have an oxygenation aeration system which seemed to help a lot. I added an extra .25 of Centennial at 60. But I got 87% eff so OG was 1.055. I'm at like 5.3% ABV. It tasted real nice before I kegged but I wonder if it would be a little smoother if i was at 4.3% ABV..

It'll be fine. It will probably need an extra week or two but the end product will be just as smooth. :mug:

Thanks BM. Next time I'll subtract a # or two of 2 row, I normally get high eff with low grain bills.

Thanks for being around dude. I've also done the Nierra Sevada 3 times and am looking forward to the Sterling, as well as this one a few more times, and my friend's SWMBO loves the Blonde Slayer. Thanks for being an enthusiast and for being helpful and for sharing your experiences dude. Rock!

:rockin:

......I've also done the Nierra Sevada 3 times and am looking forward to the Sterling, as well as this one a few more times, and my friend's SWMBO loves the Blonde Slayer. Thanks for being an enthusiast and for being helpful and for sharing your experiences dude. Rock!:rockin:

You call it enthusiast. SWMBO calls it a sick obsession.

I'll take your label. :cross:

I was thinking of buying this recipe from Brewmasters Warehouse. I've never bought from there..any experience with this vendor? Also, does the grain come milled already from Brewmasters Warehouse?

Latest posts

Back