Cellar Pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These all look great. Can someone help me understand something. I keep several bottles of rare sours, wild ales, and some barleywine to see how they age but why cellar run of the mill beers like SN Bigfoot and such. Dont get me wrong they are great, but why cellar them. Maybe Im mistaking cellaring for long term aging instead of just storing till someone comes over and drinks it. Please enlighten me. Hell I might build a big cellar.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Home Brew mobile app

These all look great. Can someone help me understand something. I keep several bottles of rare sours, wild ales, and some barleywine to see how they age but why cellar run of the mill beers like SN Bigfoot and such. Dont get me wrong they are great, but why cellar them. Maybe Im mistaking cellaring for long term aging instead of just storing till someone comes over and drinks it. Please enlighten me. Hell I might build a big cellar.

Well, people age beers like Bigfoot because it can be aged and is easy to get a bunch and have vertical tastings to see how it changes over time. Plus because it is easy to get you can drink a lot. For rarer beers you want to wait till a special time to drink or do not want to drink because you cant get it anymore. I age to see how they will change over time and have a lot I do not want to drink but i'm forcing my self to open one special a week.

Well, people age beers like Bigfoot because it can be aged and is easy to get a bunch and have vertical tastings to see how it changes over time. Plus because it is easy to get you can drink a lot. For rarer beers you want to wait till a special time to drink or do not want to drink because you cant get it anymore. I age to see how they will change over time and have a lot I do not want to drink but i'm forcing my self to open one special a week.

Good point. Thanks.

This. Speaking of Bigfoot, I've got a 12-14 vertical scheduled for post brewday next week. It's interesting to see how they change over time and they're easier (and cheaper) to buy in quantity than say, a case of BA Rasputin, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Home Brew mobile app

Here's mine so far. It's two kitchen cabinets I put together on casters.

and before I'm called out for it, yes, thats two HTs. After seeing an interview with John Kimmich, I decided to give it ago myself. Don't worry, I had plenty of it fresh as well.

20140209_111214.jpg

I find it hard to believe nobody else has a cellar :D

They're just choosing to keep it private. ;)
Just picked up a nice addition to mine by the way. Haven't seen one in a while, so I decided to pick it up. It's been a year in the bottle. So the smoke is probably more subdued and there'll be more funky/sourness. At least I'm hoping. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392506751.172347.jpg

They're just choosing to keep it private. ;)
Just picked up a nice addition to mine by the way. Haven't seen one in a while, so I decided to pick it up. It's been a year in the bottle. So the smoke is probably more subdued and there'll be more funky/sourness. At least I'm hoping. View attachment 179624
that one is good. I just drank a gotlandsdricla and like that one a lot better

that one is good. I just drank a gotlandsdricla and like that one a lot better

I like JK a lot, but here lately their distribution to Houston is very lacking. I was happy to see this one still sitting around since I didn't pick one up when it first came out. So I had to buy it. I'm really looking forward to this one. Haven't ever had Gotlandsdrika, in fact there's quite a few I still need to try. I'm planning a trip to the brewery soon to empty my bank account. :D

I like JK a lot, but here lately their distribution to Houston is very lacking. I was happy to see this one still sitting around since I didn't pick one up when it first came out. So I had to buy it. I'm really looking forward to this one. Haven't ever had Gotlandsdrika, in fact there's quite a few I still need to try. I'm planning a trip to the brewery soon to empty my bank account. :D

That's a sure way to do it ;) Gotlandsdricka was awesome, and Viking Metal was phenomenal too.

I didn't get a chance to pull any bottles out, but here you go:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392587281.709310.jpg

I've got two of those racks stacked up.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392587312.242734.jpg

Plus the 12 oz and 375ml bottles and other stuff I haven't sorted and inventoried.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392587368.024056.jpg

Next time I move things around I'll shoot some more photos. I should try to get some shots of the Crooked Stave collection before I start drinking it down.

They are lying at an angle, but in any case, I'm personally not convinced by the arguments to store upright.

These can still be poured without disturbing the yeast, though I am considering a period of upright storage prior to angled storage to make this even easier.

The 'air exposure' issue - seems the total quantity of oxygen is more important than the area of exposure, given a long storage time. Especially for bottle-conditioned beers, where yeast scrub much of the oxygen, this doesn't seem like an important issue.

For corked beers, that may obtain a 'cork flavor' this may be an issue that I'll consider over a long storage period, though the majority of my stored beers are capped. As for rusting caps - I don't know of anyone that has actually experienced this. As far as I know, most (all?) caps have a plastic seal on the interior to prevent this.

I never considered just sitting on them like you guys are. I guess I have to change my ways. That said, until I started this new hobby (merely 4 and a half weeks ago) I didn't realize that beer ages so well.

I love those wooden 12oz beer racks a page or two back. I think I have a new weekend project.

Interesting to see the Dogfish Head stuff. I live 30 mins from there. I've had quite a few of their brews NOT counting the IPA's (not a fan of that much hops). Midas Touch anybody?

My cellar has lots of Homebrew and bottles for it since I'm a homebrewer and am way to cool to keg.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Home Brew mobile app

1392782284213.jpg

1392782306251.jpg

You're going to hate me even more when I tell you I got the Utopias for free. A friend worked for Boston Beer and received that as her 5 years of service gift. She doesn't drink beer. I do. :rockin:

So ether I am not going to the liquor store often enough or I am drinking it to soon.
My guess i am not going enough.
Local chain has many of what I have seen on your cellars, just that they don't offer them at all locations. Some here some there...hit and miss.

Latest posts

Back