Celery wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxarocks

Reaction score
I am having a bit of sleeping trouble, and so I have decided to make a small batch of celery wine. I have never made wine before, and I have no interest in making anything serious, so this whole thing will sound more like a science experiment that a recipe.

I can only hope that it will taste as good as my favorite celery soda in wine form.

wow...
your brave.
The thought of celery makes turn green.

I have never heard of celery soda either.

But then again i like sour beers and my family thinks i have strange taste.

I turned out using celery, celery seed, tomato, and raisins. Things have started to bubble along, and even if the wine is horrible, I ended up making a really nice airlock that fits my jug and i will be able to use it again.

What else did you use? What kind of yeast? Did you break anything down by boiling, any gravity measurements? No science experiment is complete without those;)

I have to say that I'm not overly interesting in making any celery wine, but I'm all for a good experiment. Give us an update!

I used 5 oz of celery, 6 oz tomato, 1 cup of raisins, juice from 2 lemons, 2 tsp of celery seeds, and 2 lbs of sugar. I boiled everything for a half an hour or so.

The whole mess is in a 3litre bottle, I used water to make 3 l, and I used Lalvin ec-1118 yeast, added at about 70 degrees. The yeast is doing very well so far. i do not have a gravimeter, I am on this forum for the soda section, so I do not have any of the tools to make wine.

A hydrometer can be useful for soda making too, so you may want to think about picking one up one day. Most commercial "big brands" are shooting for an OG of 1.040 - 1.048. It's a good tool to know how much sugar to use.

I do soda sweetness by taste, especially because my friends all like a different amount of sugar. I don't plan on getting into wine, so it doesn't make sense to keep track of such things. This is mostly an attempt to approximate the celery soda flavor that I love, not to make great wine.

Right now, things don't smell quite like they should, kind of like the celery soda that I made that smelled like bad bread yeast. I am starting to think that celery seed just smells like that.

Just to update- I removed the big stuff and put an airlock on the jug. Smells like celery.

Back