Celebration clone with WY1318

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogwash

Reaction score
I’m thinking of doing this for my next batch. It will obviously make a somewhat different beer. I’m thinking the body and the hops presence will both be a little softer and not as classic west coasty as with the Chico yeast. That being said, I’ve not used the 1318 before so maybe I’m off base on this.

What do you think?

Wy1318 is Boddingtons right? I suggest you buy a can of their Pub Ale and see what you think of it. Maybe you can find some that is not too old/abused.

I'd consider mashing lower or dropping some of the Crystal malt used in Celebration. 1318 will finish higher than Chico yeast, so you'll want to offset that lest it become a sweet mess.

I used to like Celebration a lot, but my tastes have changed over the years and it's just too malty for me now. I really like my hoppy beers to limit the Crystal malt usage. I do think 1318 is a great yeast for hoppy beers.

Wy1318 is Boddingtons right?

Probably not, or at least it doesn't make much sense that it's called London yeast when Boddingtons' historical base is 200 miles away in Manchester. I'm pretty sceptical of many of the traditional assignations of commercial yeasts to breweries, this one more than most. I've seen it suggested that 1318 is actually a Courage yeast (which would make more sense on the London front), whether the Boddies connection is just that it came from the Boddies library or they started using Courage yeast after The Great Boddies Disaster of late 1981, I don't know.

The Boddies recipe changed significantly in 1981/2, and rumours abound that they lost their house yeast at around that time. Since then this iconic beer -arguably the forerunner of all APAs - has been bounced around multinationals, with ABInbev the latest who are trying to ruin it. So modern Boddies, certainly in cans, is a long way from what it was.

Back