CDA/Black-IPA brewers; how much (and which) Carafe Special are you using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning to do a black-IPA/CDA this weekend, so I'm putting the recipe together. Going to keep the grain bill pretty simple, thinking some base domestic 2-row, a little medium crystal, and some Carafe Special.

Question is simple; since my LHBS now :rockin: and offers me all kinds of choices, which lovibond Carafe Special are y'all using in these beers? Related question; how much? 3/4 pound? Full pound? Are you using any other roasted grains at all, like some pale chocolate? I know I don't want MUCH roast, but since I'm going to hop with some English varieties I'm thinking a LITTLE roast character coming through would be OK.

I know it's kind of a newish and still-experimental style, but what have people had success with?

I only did American versions, but once I used 300 grams and the other time 400 grams for a 20 litre batch (~5.25 gallons?). If memory serves me correctly, I perferred the one with 300g's. That is the only dark grain that I used, with some C80(~5%) and 2 row.

PS. I have tried both the Carafa special II and III. not sure that I noticed a difference.

On my 10 gallon batch I used 2lbs Black Prinze which is probably similar to III and I also used .75 of a UK 350 chocolate malt. Loved the flavor on it.

Planning to do a black-IPA/CDA this weekend, so I'm putting the recipe together. Going to keep the grain bill pretty simple, thinking some base domestic 2-row, a little medium crystal, and some Carafe Special.

Question is simple; since my LHBS now :rockin: and offers me all kinds of choices, which lovibond Carafe Special are y'all using in these beers? Related question; how much? 3/4 pound? Full pound? Are you using any other roasted grains at all, like some pale chocolate? I know I don't want MUCH roast, but since I'm going to hop with some English varieties I'm thinking a LITTLE roast character coming through would be OK.

I know it's kind of a newish and still-experimental style, but what have people had success with?

I use 1.5 lb CarafaII in 11 gallon. This grain is kept separate and is added at the last 5 minutes of the mash.

The grain bill is simply 2-row, Vienna, the Carafa and a little wheat

You'll get *some* roasty flavors and aromas from the Carafa. You'll need lots of hops to balance out the roast flavors. The last time I brewed this (I've made ~100 gallon of this style), I used 8 oz of Simcoe/Amarillo in late additions including dry hop. It still lacks the nose I'm looking to achieve. If you don't have enough late addition hops or the beer finishes sweeter/maltier, you run the risk of making a highly hopped American stout.

Yooper and Homer have each tried it. It's pretty good.

good luck. Keep us posted.:mug:

I'm leaning towards maybe 3/4 of the Special III, and a half-pound of the pale chocolate (5 gallon batch). Not too much crystal, maybe a half-pound of some C60L. Enough base 2-row to get me ~1.065. Haven't figured the hops out yet, something fairly high AA and neutral for bittering and probably a split between Fuggles and EKG for aroma/flavor. 50-60 IBUs, a little under a 1:1 BU/GU ratio. US-05, with the little roast and the hops I don't want any yeast character.

Basically, an English re-interpretation of a very American interpretation of an English style.

Between the Carafa and the Chocolate, it'll definitely be dark enough. I've seen lot's of recipes that use chocolate in their dark ales. My version comes out roasty enough w/o any of the chocolate for my tastes, so I have never added any. Sorry, can't really speak to that.

Also, I've never thought of EKG/Fuggles in this style. Sound interesting.

Oh, and I've stopped using Magnum or equivalent for my bittering adds. I just FWH withe the hops I'm using in my late adds to the IBU I'm looking for in the beer.

I really like using about 10-15% of either Munich or Vienna also. Helps round out the beer IMO. With the roasted grains I used I targeted 120ibus and it balanced well with the roastiness. You might want to think about upping the ibus a bit or lowering the roast to get the balance more hop forward.

I'm definitely an advocate of Munich malt in IPAs, but was thinking that I wanted the malt bill to be a little simpler this time; mostly just base and a little roast. The IPA I brewed yesterday had a couple pounds of Vienna in it, as well. I haven't decided on the hops yet, I may do some fairly large late additions.

Last time I made a black IPA, it was an imperial and I used the following grain bill for 5 gallons.

12 lbs 2 row
2 lbs light munich
2 lbs vienna
1 lb dehusked carafa III
1 lb corn sugar

There was a very slight hint of roast in the finish of the beer that worked really well for this particular one.

Did an imperial rye black IPA that is tasting pretty good so far. Malt bill was:
15# 2 row
2# Flaked Rye
(and the original was going to be chocolate and carafaIII, but they only had carafa II so i did):
#.75 Chocolate
#.50 Carafa II
#.25 Roasted Barley....
Mashed low...

A touch over 100 IBUs with no bittering addition (just FWH, and hop bursted...14oz of hops including DH)

I wouldn't go with more than 4% of the Carafa III de-husked for this. 2-3% regular chocolate malt if you want to keep it simple. You probably have 9-12 ounces sitting around in a bag somewhere waiting to be used.
Hops... EKG & Fuggles are fine hops for the style English beers. How about a little Challenger in the kettle? Brewers gold if you want to use a higher AA hop is also nice.

I use 5% CArafa III Special along with 5% C60 and 90% 2 Row.

Then nothing but citrusy/piney goodness for the hops.

I wouldn't go with more than 4% of the Carafa III de-husked for this. 2-3% regular chocolate malt if you want to keep it simple. You probably have 9-12 ounces sitting around in a bag somewhere waiting to be used.
Hops... EKG & Fuggles are fine hops for the style English beers. How about a little Challenger in the kettle? Brewers gold if you want to use a higher AA hop is also nice.

Glib! How you doing! Come out to Kai's on Sunday and brew with us!

You talking about the 4% Carafe III PLUS 2% - 3% choc? I do have the pale choc kicking around, I'm kind of interested in trying that out. On the hops side, thinking three additions (15, 5, and 2 minute), about 1.5 ounces per addition, mix of the two.

OK, got my confirmation, Carafe AND the choc. Also going to add a little C120L, maybe a third of a pound or so, to add a little more depth to the malt base. Still think I'm going to go with the pale choc instead of the "regular", maybe more like 4% of that (it's only 200L, IIRC). Still has a little bit of a roasty taste to it, too, just not quite as intense.

Back