Catty / IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
I recently submitted my IPA for a local tasting.
It was not my best effort. But I received 2 comments about it being catty.

I have been making beer for a while, and my stouts, pales, and hefe's have been fine - while I have not had them judged. but this was my first shot at an IPA.

It has been sitting for 8 weeks now and I just pulled another class to see and It is not "terrible" but not as good as my pale for example.

The way I would describe it is that the "bitter" hits you first rather than at the end like most of the Ipa's tend to enjoy.

Just wondering if I had a process problem with Racking - I did rack this beer and let it sit drying hopping for 2 weeks. Most of my pales, stouts etc.. I go from primary to keg.

Just wondering.
Thank s

12# 2 Row
1# Munich 10L
1# 60L
Mash 152

12.1 Magnum 1oz 60min
9.1 Cent 1oz 30
5.5 Cascade 1oz 15
5.5 Cascade 1oz 5
5.5 cascade 1.oz 1min
5.5 cascade 1.5 dry hop

Did they define catty? Some hops can be catty (though not the hops used). Was it like a cat pee type smell or just aggressive and a touch of skunk?

I've never thought of Cascade as having that "cat piss" aroma or flavor...in fact, I use Casecade all the time and people love it. Maybe the two-week dry hop overwhelmed the malt...just a guess.

From BJCP list of beer faults, it is equivalent to skunkiness. If you've ever smelled a cat spray its territory, you know what catty means...

Latest posts

Back