Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've posted many pics of her before, but here's more! Lol. I love taking pictures of her.
IMG_20180829_100518.jpeg
RenderedI.jpeg

I just thought I'd share some design details for an outdoor insulated cat house I'm building. It uses just one 4x8 sheet of 2" thick rigid foam insulation, two sheets of 3/8" OSB and a few lenghts of 2x4 plus odds and ends. There's also a light bulb paint can heater inside that I know from prior experience keeps these shelters toasty at the coldest of temperatures. The uninsulated entryway on the right side keeps wind and predators out and heat in.

The shell is pretty easy to make. Form the OSB box and then add the stud framing to the outside. The thin vertical strips on the outside are just for decorative effect. Cut the rigid foam pieces, tape together and drop it in. The top foam piece is just resting in place so that it can be removed for changing straw or adding food and water.

The insulated interior space is a lot larger than it seems in the images. At 22 x 22 x 30 its large enough for multiple cats as well as a second tier shelf.

001 Angle.jpg
003 Elevs.jpg
004 Inside.jpg
005 Durofoam box.jpg
006 Panel Cutting.jpg

I just thought I'd share some design details for an outdoor insulated cat house I'm building. It uses just one 4x8 sheet of 2" thick rigid foam insulation, two sheets of 3/8" OSB and a few lenghts of 2x4 plus odds and ends. There's also a light bulb paint can heater inside that I know from prior experience keeps these shelters toasty at the coldest of temperatures. The uninsulated entryway on the right side keeps wind and predators out and heat in.

The shell is pretty easy to make. Form the OSB box and then add the stud framing to the outside. The thin vertical strips on the outside are just for decorative effect. Cut the rigid foam pieces, tape together and drop it in. The top foam piece is just resting in place so that it can be removed for changing straw or adding food and water.

The insulated interior space is a lot larger than it seems in the images. At 22 x 22 x 30 its large enough for multiple cats as well as a second tier shelf.

View attachment 590114 View attachment 590115 View attachment 590116 View attachment 590117 View attachment 590118
Cat dad of the year

I just thought I'd share some design details for an outdoor insulated cat house ]
I might be "forced" to do something like this before winter (Michigan). Is that the full design? I'm not a blueprint reader. Accidentally got to know one of the strays around here (hand feed him, play with him and now he follows me around).

I might be "forced" to do something like this before winter (Michigan). Is that the full design? I'm not a blueprint reader. Accidentally got to know one of the strays around here (hand feed him, play with him and now he follows me around).

It is the full design, but there are a few details that aren't visible (such as 2x4 horizontal bracing under the floor of the OSB box, or the roof detailing). I may end up adding a second set of doorways at the top and that shelf I mentioned, to act as a getaway exit. To be determined.

You'll notice that the roof rectangle on that last sheet of OSB overhangs the edge a little on the right. I couldn't quite fit it onto the sheet with the other shapes. An easy fix is to undersize the width of the two side pieces 1/2 inch or so, and then just leaving a 1/4 inch space on either side when screwing them to the legs.

I can probably post more details in the next few days. I'm also making up some blueprints that'll show everything.

It is the full design, but there are a few details that aren't visible (such as 2x4 horizontal bracing under the floor of the OSB box, or the roof detailing). I may end up adding a second set of doorways at the top and that shelf I mentioned, to act as a getaway exit. To be determined.

You'll notice that the roof rectangle on that last sheet of OSB overhangs the edge a little on the right. I couldn't quite fit it onto the sheet with the other shapes. An easy fix is to undersize the width of the two side pieces 1/2 inch or so, and then just leaving a 1/4 inch space on either side when screwing them to the legs.

I can probably post more details in the next few days. I'm also making up some blueprints that'll show everything.
Thanks. We were going to go with the giant Rubbermaid bin(s) that you line with Styrofoam but I like the above idea better.
thanks again.

@rhys333 What is the best size for the entryway? I also think the getaway door is a pretty great idea.

I have it depicted at 6" x 6" in the above images, but it should probably be a bit taller to accommodate the average cat. Perhaps 6" wide x 8" tall. I don't want to make mine too big as I want to keep out any larger animals.

Last edited:
I have it depicted at 6" x 6" in the above images, but it should probably be a bit taller to accommodate the average cat. Perhaps 6" wide x 8" tall. I don't want to make mine too big as I want to keep out any larger animals.
Yeah, no big dogs or whatever. You've already helped me out a quite a bit so thanks. I could probably muddle through with what I've got.
Cheers.

View attachment 590114 View attachment 590115 View attachment 590116 View attachment 590117 View attachment 590118

That looks much better than our feral shelter(s).

Personal Foul, 15 yards, First Down

View attachment 591273
We call fouls on our cats too. Not surprisingly, a lot of unsportscatlike conducts--unnecessary roughness, instigating (hockey), paws to the face, etc. I even made a penalty box but they liked sitting it so much I felt I was contributing to the excessive number of fouls/penalties. FYI fining a cat is ineffective.

Hopefully we're about to move, and I'm concerned about how my cat will do. The house we're looking at is in the high desert, all forest(southern New Mexico forest, not real trees) but is home to mountain lions, coyotes, and a stunning variety of raptors. I'm thinking about making her an fenced cat run so she can go out and enjoy the sunshine, probably off the garage wall. How big should it be? She's pretty fat and lazy but she loves her time outside.

Im getting close to adopting a second kitten for Lilly (ruler of all she surveys) as frankly she needs someone else to keep her entertained when im not home. plus i enjoy having multiple cats anyway (now divorced had 4 cats at one point down to 1)

her temperament i feel would be ideal for teaching new cats how to cat properly. maybe I should get 2 more? thoughts from you other cat peoples.

I've had three at one time, but they all have their own territories and "claimed" spots. They get along best when they're small or from the same litter. Now that we're down to one, Old Poo has the house all to himself with no competition.
Oh, he would get along with a smaller cat but we're going to give Old Poo the run of the place until it's his time to go. Poo is mild-mannered and gets around OK for an old man of 12, but the excitement and space competition from a younger cat isn't something we want him to deal with. You have to take animal age and temperament into consideration as well as your ability to keep up after them.

Im getting close to adopting a second kitten for Lilly (ruler of all she surveys) as frankly she needs someone else to keep her entertained when im not home. plus i enjoy having multiple cats anyway (now divorced had 4 cats at one point down to 1)

her temperament i feel would be ideal for teaching new cats how to cat properly. maybe I should get 2 more? thoughts from you other cat peoples.

I'm a big fan of giving a cat a playmate or two. The exact number is whatever you feel it correct. My wife and I judge our number by "Can we pay proper attention to each of them?". Developing a good relationship with each one is a benefit to both you and the cat; otherwise, with too many (whatever that number might be), you become just a landlord.
I don't know Lily or her history but, generally, I would start with one kitten, make sure Lily and the kitten are happy together before introducing a second kitten.
Good luck.

I've had three at one time, but they all have their own territories and "claimed" spots. They get along best when they're small or from the same litter. Now that we're down to one, Old Poo has the house all to himself with no competition.
Oh, he would get along with a smaller cat but we're going to give Old Poo the run of the place until it's his time to go. Poo is mild-mannered and gets around OK for an old man of 12, but the excitement and space competition from a younger cat isn't something we want him to deal with. You have to take animal age and temperament into consideration as well as your ability to keep up after them.

Good advice.

Just a fun story that follows since this is the Cat Channel.

We have a 19 year old (Stuart) now PLUS three younger. Once in a great while the old one doesn't want to be bothered and we shoo the younger ones away. However, mostly, they are surprisingly respectful of him and play very gently (unlike with each other). I'm confident now they know the score and treat him accordingly.
But here's something surprising that I did not expect: Our two year old cat (Hogarth) has injected new life, somehow, into the old one. The 19 year old will actually chase the youngster around the house, down the stairs and back up again! My wife and I looked at each other when it first happened, "Is that the same cat who, for his entire young life, would lie down on his side and bat at toys whenever you tried to get him to run?" This cat would not run more than a few yards for any reason.
He's showing his age for sure now but he's been running after the youngster, two to four times a day, for the past six months. He shows no ill effect from the exercise (no extra stiffness or limping) and I would prefer he go out on top and keel over while playing instead of the alternatives.

Hopefully we're about to move, and I'm concerned about how my cat will do. The house we're looking at is in the high desert, all forest(southern New Mexico forest, not real trees) but is home to mountain lions, coyotes, and a stunning variety of raptors. I'm thinking about making her an fenced cat run so she can go out and enjoy the sunshine, probably off the garage wall. How big should it be? She's pretty fat and lazy but she loves her time outside.

Fencing sounds like a good idea, given the predators in the area. Coyotes are sneaky, make sure you bury the bottom of the fence to keep them from digging under. As far as the size of the fenced area, it probably doesn't matter, as long as there are things for your cat to do, and a hidey-hole for her to escape the sun. Something like those "cat playhouse" things.

For keeping out raptors, maybe suspend some netting over the enclosed area, similar to what people do with aviaries.

I'm a big fan of giving a cat a playmate or two. The exact number is whatever you feel it correct. My wife and I judge our number by "Can we pay proper attention to each of them?". Developing a good relationship with each one is a benefit to both you and the cat; otherwise, with too many (whatever that number might be), you become just a landlord.
I don't know Lily or her history but, generally, I would start with one kitten, make sure Lily and the kitten are happy together before introducing a second kitten.
Good luck.

We have 5. Its dictated but how many strays warm to us...

We have 5. Its dictated but how many strays warm to us...
I came across our city's ordinance (only by chance and not because I actually cared) and four is the legal limit. I was surprised, I guess, that there was something in place.
I sure do get the stray reference--two of our cats and our dog were originally stray animals. My wife has learned NEVER let me near a kitten unless it belongs to someone else.
At the moment, we have a group of five males we feed outside, twice a day with canned catfood treat on the weekend. They get along famously for not being fixed. Four have gone too far feral to be happy as indoors.
Such drama with the outdoor cats. These five were booted out of their original pack, not allowed to eat at their former soup kitchen (lady's house across the street). The offender, who was able to intimidate four, adult males, we call Ming the Merciless. I spray Ming with water whenever he tries to increase his territory (comes to our side of the street).
With winter coming, I feel obligated to give them shelter which is easy enough to make. Too bad we don't live in southern Ohio. Our main goal is get them all neutered and then stay in our area.
I can't tell you the roadblocks we hit trying to get the neutering done by the catch, neuter and release program.

I did imply that your cat is an action movie actor. I'm not seeing it here though!
Pictures are great. I would have a little trouble picking my cat out of a line up from your two.
I'll put up one more good one for now. Mostly-black cats are difficult to photograph--not that that's stopped me from taking a million photos.
This is Tiger and Dashel raiding the food bucket while my back was turned. I use a 5:1 ratio of super healthy food to "not so healthy but delicious" food. Of course they like the cheaper food way better.
IMG_20160117_134000.jpg

I did imply that your cat is an action movie actor. I'm not seeing it here though!
Pictures are great. I would have a little trouble picking my cat out of a line up from your two.
I'll put up one more good one for now. Mostly-black cats are difficult to photograph--not that that's stopped me from taking a million photos.
This is Tiger and Dashel raiding the food bucket while my back was turned. I use a 5:1 ratio of super healthy food to "not so healthy but delicious" food. Of course they like the cheaper food way better.View attachment 593469
That’s a great photo. Agreed about photographing black and white tux cats. Gives the camera a hard time with exposure. It’s difficult to resist posting photos. Especially awkward ones.
71064289-CF4B-4A4F-A09A-ACCB26A31D13.jpeg

That’s a great photo. Agreed about photographing black and white tux cats. Gives the camera a hard time with exposure. It’s difficult to resist posting photos. Especially awkward ones.
View attachment 593472
Darn it! I'm trying not to get into a fun photo showdown! This is my awkward shot.
IMG_20160202_113120.jpg
one.
Edit: we call that the Buddha pose. They do look awkward. They're not all graceful like normally.

Shes was with three other cats that my now ex wife took with her (though its been about two years since) and is a very very people person cat. loves people even total strangers. Shes also only turning 5 this month.

Back