Catawba Eno Hoppy Pilsner Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_javi

Reaction score
I was wanting to try an attempt at a 2.5 gallon BIAB for the first time and would like to try to clone this beer. Their website lists the following:

Malt: 2 Row and Malted Wheat (Don't know if Wheat is possible with BIAB?)

Hops: Magnum/Halletrauer Mittlefruh/Idaho 7 (Says Idaho 7 are late addition)

Traget IBU 37
ABV 4.9
10.5 Plato
4 SRM

The confusing part is it lists those hops, then says this for the description of the beer:
This recipe uses malt and GermanTettnanger and Hallertau Mittlefrueh hops for a traditional German Pilsner.We then added a uniquely American craft beer twist with Idaho #7 hops late in the boil for some citrus undertones.

Here is the link to their site:
https://catawbabrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/CVB-BeerSheets7-11-16ENO.pdf

Can anyone give any tips in formulating the recipe? Specifically, the malt percentages.

Wheat is actually EASIER with BIAB, so don't worry about that. The brewers are generous to give you so much info, getting yourself in the ballpark will be easy. Getting an exact clone is always more tough.

About the hops, they might be using Mittelfruh and Tettnanger interchangeably. I wouldn't fret too much about it

For 2.5 gallon @ 72% efficiency:
OG: 1.042
FG: 1.008
ABV: 4.5%
IBU 36.5
SRM: 3.2

4lbs 2-row
6oz Wheat Malt

Mash low, 148F or so

.20oz Magnum @ 60 (17.7 IBU)
.25oz Hallertau @ 30 (5.7 IBU)
.25oz Hallertau @ 15 (3.6IBU)
.5oz Idaho 7 @ 5 (9.5 IBU)

Saflager w34/70

I'm guessing on the yeast. I'm not sure how they get 4.9% out of 1.042 OG. Even with a low mash BeerSmith says 1.008 FG. To get 4.9% you'd need to get the beer down to 1.005 or so. If you want 4.9% I would just add a little extra malt (~6oz more).

The malts I just guessed the percentages as well. I imagine the wheat is just for head retention. I have it at 8.6%, its likely lower, but due to my love for whole numbers I kept the basemalt at 4.0 lbs

It looks like a nice beer, I would definitely brew it/drink it. Good luck!

Awesome. Thank you, that is exactly what I needed. This beer is very good. They sell the stuff for like $12 a six pack!

One more question. This beer is a bit hazy in appearance. Kind of like a Wheat. Would you still use the same amount of Wheat knowing that?

Also, I noticed Beer Smith has a 2 Row malt, and a 2 Row Pilsner malt. Are they the same?

Awesome. Thank you, that is exactly what I needed. This beer is very good. They sell the stuff for like $12 a six pack!

One more question. This beer is a bit hazy in appearance. Kind of like a Wheat. Would you still use the same amount of Wheat knowing that?

Also, I noticed Beer Smith has a 2 Row malt, and a 2 Row Pilsner malt. Are they the same?

The haze could be due to a lot of wheat or just a lack of fining agent. If you think its the wheat, maybe bump it up to 20-30%. If you really want to clone this you'll have to brew a few iterations of it to get everything dialed in.

2-row and pilsner are very similar, but not the same. I actually recommend the real pilsner malt for this (and other lagers) for the lighter, crisper finish.

Latest posts

Back