Castilian "Lacquered" Pork Ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Costillar de Cerdo Lacado

From Culinaria Spain:

"Pork is [an example] of Castile's various specialties.... There is a popular Castilian saying that ham is more likely to produce Christian converts than the Spanish Inquisition. With the reputation of Spanish hams, and the country's pork cuisine, that is certainly true. Roast suckling pig (cochinillo asado or toston) which epitomizes Castillian cuisine, enjoys cult status in the villages. It has aroused such passion among its devotees that many recipes are reminiscent of romantic poems addressed to the dearly beloved, extolling the virtues, for instance, of "fat, tender, healthy piglets, 25 days old, and barely 9 pounds in weight." The bakers stoke up their ovens on weekends, to roast suckling pigs. These are put in the oven at the local bakery whenever there is cause for a celebratory feast.

Roasted pork is integral to the cuisine of Castillian Spain, and there are many ways to enjoy it. This recipe, from the book, Culinaria Spain, is a modern take on the ancient Iberian tradition of roasting a pig over an open fire.

Simple foods are often the best; it has been proven time and again, and if you haven't learned this already, then now's the time! You will need:

Honey
Red wine vinegar
Salt
Pepper

That's it. Four simple, readily-available ingredients. When I made these ribs, I tried a twist introduced by a friend a long time ago, so I had 5 ingredients:

costillardecerdolacado-1.jpg

The balsamic is not required for thsi recipe, and is not a quintessential ingredient of Spain, but I wanted to use it in order to experience these ribs as my friend had enjoyed them, so I did. In the future, I'll stick the the four ingredients, experimenting with different honeys and vinegars, as I can; one spin-off that I would like to try is in replacing the wine vinegar with apple cider vinegar, which is commonly found in northern Spain's Asturias province.

Anyway, as I said, this is easy - incredibly easy. I started with a couple of teaspoons each of sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper:

costillardecerdolacado-2.jpg

The ratio of honey to vinegar is 3 to 1; for instance, if you use 6 tablespoons of honey, then you need 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Since I had a lot of pork to cook, I used 3 tablespoons of each vinegar (for a total of 6 tablspoons, equivalent to half a cup):

costillardecerdolacado-3.jpg

Next, I turned my attention to the honey that I had chosen; the recipe specifies "runny acacia or woodland honey," but since I live in the middle of nowhere, I used this:

costillardecerdolacado-4.jpg

We actually have two local apiaries, and the next time I try this, I will use some raw honey from one of those sources.

Keeping to the ratio described above, I added 1.5 (equivalent to 18 tablespoons) cups of honey to the seasoned vinegars:

costillardecerdolacado-5.jpg

And stirred everything together:

costillardecerdolacado-6.jpg

This resulted in a wonderful concoction that promised to take my ribs to a whole new level!

Marinating the ribs is not necessary; a simple shake of salt and pepper - perhaps with the addition of a little pimentón de la Vera - is all that is needed. Having said that, I decided to let the ribs take in the flavours for a couple of hours, just because that's how I'd seen them done before. With this in mind, I poured the lacado mixture into a roasting pan, gave the ribs a modest dusting of salt and pepper, and then brushed the lacado mixture onto the surface:

costillardecerdolacado-7.jpg

I then turned the ribs face-down into the bottom of a roasting pan, dusted the bone side with a little salt and pepper, and brushed some of the lacado mixture on that side as well:

costillardecerdolacado-8.jpg

Once again, this is not necessary, but it certainly doesn't hurt a bit.

While the ribs soaked up the vinegars and honey for a couple of hours, I got ready for my barbecue. I brushed some yellow mustard onto some country-style ribs and dusted them with a standard barbecue rub; once that was done, I set up and lit my offset smoker, bringing it to a nice running temperature in the neighbourhood of 250 degrees. When everything was ready, I tossed all the pork onto the grates and began my cooking:

costillardecerdolacado-9.jpg

After a couple of hours, things were coming along nicely, so I began "painting" the lacado mixture on my ribs; first the bone-side:

costillardecerdolacado-10.jpg

And then the top:

costillardecerdolacado-11.jpg

I said it before and will say it again: simple is the way to go, and nothing elaborate is needed in order to produce beautiful, juicy, tender barbecue ribs that taste like a million dollars. You can be complicated if you want to, and have some very wonderful things - I've done it many times myself - but it's not necessary all the time, and this experience was proving exactly that.

I kept brushing and flipping and brushing the ribs every hour or so, whenever I added hickory or charcoal to the firebox of the smoker. It wasn't long before the ribs started to take on a beautiful shine and develop some deep, rich colour:

costillardecerdolacado-12.jpg

As you can see, I also brushed the lacado mixture onto the CSRs as well.

About three hours into the cook, I moved the ribs over closer to the heat:

costillardecerdolacado-13.jpg

The idea here was to allow the lacado mixture to glaze on in thin layers, allowing it to really earn its reputation as it "lacquered" the ribs:

costillardecerdolacado-14.jpg

Whaddaya think? I think they're coming along nicely, myself:

costillardecerdolacado-15.jpg

By the time the ribs were just about ready, the lacado and the heat had done their work beautifully, creating a wonderful, crackling shine on the ribs:

costillardecerdolacado-16.jpg

Between the lacado, the sweet hickory smoke and the pork itself, the aromas wafting up from the grates were enough to really bring out the carnivore in almost anyone:

costillardecerdolacado-17.jpg

When the everythng was ready, I brought it all in; first the CSRs:

costillardecerdolacado-18.jpg

And then the ribs:

costillardecerdolacado-19.jpg

I couldn't really stop myself - I took another picture:

costillardecerdolacado-20.jpg

And another:

costillardecerdolacado-21.jpg

The family couldn't stand it any longer, so I cut the ribs into sections and tossed them into the pit to be devoured. As you can see, there was - in addition to everything else - wonderful smoke penetration:

costillardecerdolacado-22.jpg

The taste was incredible. The smoked pork was just about perfect, with a savory, beautiful "bacon on a stick" flavour that comes from a really good barbecue. This was enhanced by the sweet/sour flavour and the crackling sheen of the lacado. A home-run all-around. This little trip to Castillian Spain was a nice way to enjoy a Sunday afternoon on a sunny spring day.

Hopefully, I've made it clear with this pictorial that simple can often be the way to go, and - if done right - will provide some very wonderful barbecue. Four ingredinets. You all have them in your kitchen or pantry. Try this, and you won't be sorry.

Even at 9 in the morning that looks absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing this, will definitely be trying this in the near future!

Thanks, invictus - it's really too easy not to try. Everything you need to know should be in the "pictorial," but if you have any questions at all, please let me know.

For the cook above, I used baby backs, but spares or CSRs will work just as well - the cooking times might need a bit of adjustment, but that's about it. You want to move them over to the "warmer" side of the pit only in the last hour or so - give or take. If the colours tarts to get too dark, move them back to the "cooler" side until the ribs are finished. This is all a bit subjective, but after you do it a couple of times you get a good feel for it....

Looks great, I will have to try that this summer!

Umm... what about adding a little heat to that glaze, though? I don't mean burn-your-mouth-off heat... just a little. Too out-of-style?

Hi, Slym - you could certainly add a little heat, if you want to. Traditional Spanish food is quite lively. I keep things pretty tame because my wife is very sensitive to spicy foods, but I say go for it and see what you like.

I'd recommend some hot paprika (smoked, if you can get it) or a few crushed red pepper flakes in the honey-vinegar marinade/glaze.

Awesome! I would try it straight-up if it was out of style, but since it is not, I'll throw in a few red pepper flakes.

Thanks!!!

Those ribs are just gorgeous! I need to try this; what wood(s) did you use for smoke? Would you recommend any other wood(s)?
Regards, GF.

Hi -

I believe I used hickory for these, simply because that's what I had on hand. My first two choices probably would have been oak or possibly apple, but only because those would be more "native" to Spain. In truth probably any fruit or nut wood would be just fine - avoid mesquite, of course.

Those look outstanding! How did they turn out?

They were outstanding!!

I would have taken a picture of the finished product, but they were devoured pretty much right away ...

Definitely cooking this again; thanks for the recipe. I did it without balsamic, but with smoked paprika.

That sounds incredible, and I bet it was a true Spanish feast with that smoked paprika. Great job on some beautiful ribs!

"Awesome" is just the beginning for these. Lots of layers here, both literally and figuratively. Let us know what you think of them! :mug:

Those look perfect! Don't be afraid to give them a little heat toward the end. This method seems to beg for it. I

I normally smoke between 240 and 260, but toward the end, I bump it up a bit. 300 or 325 for the last half-hour is a-ok!

They came out good. Next time I am going to make more glaze and get about twice as much of it on there. I think I am going to be in the market soon for an offset smoker. I have not done a lot of smoking that required a lot of repeated applications of sauce or glaze. It is a bit of a pain in the vertical to pull them out and do the layers.

G'morning, Tom -

These are almost guaranteed to be good - the "recipe" (for lack of a better word) is so easy that the pork really seems to do all the work for you.

If you do try them, let us know how they turned out, and enjoy!

Ron

Haven't been able to sleep all night (thinking about these, mostly!) so I got up and whipped up the lacado mixture. Right when I get home from my physical therapy appointment today I have two slabs of spares to soak in this while I get the coals ready then into the off-set! I'll post some updates as I go! :D

P.S. Tasunka - Next weekend I'll be getting that Pumpkin Dubbel in the fermentor and let you know how it goes! Thanks again! :mug:

Hey - good luck on the ribs, and let us know how they turn out. These are impossible to screw up, and are still just about the best ribs I've ever had. :mug:

When you start the Dubbel, keep us informed on that, too!

Costillar de Cerdo Lacado

From Culinaria Spain:

Roasted pork is integral to the cuisine of Castillian Spain, and there are many ways to enjoy it. This recipe, from the book, Culinaria Spain, is a modern take on the ancient Iberian tradition of roasting a pig over an open fire.

Simple foods are often the best; it has been proven time and again, and if you haven't learned this already, then now's the time! You will need:

Honey
Red wine vinegar
Salt
Pepper

That's it. Four simple, readily-available ingredients. When I made these ribs, I tried a twist introduced by a friend a long time ago, so I had 5 ingredients:

costillardecerdolacado-1.jpg

The balsamic is not required for thsi recipe, and is not a quintessential ingredient of Spain, but I wanted to use it in order to experience these ribs as my friend had enjoyed them, so I did. In the future, I'll stick the the four ingredients, experimenting with different honeys and vinegars, as I can; one spin-off that I would like to try is in replacing the wine vinegar with apple cider vinegar, which is commonly found in northern Spain's Asturias province.

Anyway, as I said, this is easy - incredibly easy. I started with a couple of teaspoons each of sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper:

costillardecerdolacado-2.jpg

The ratio of honey to vinegar is 3 to 1; for instance, if you use 6 tablespoons of honey, then you need 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Since I had a lot of pork to cook, I used 3 tablespoons of each vinegar (for a total of 6 tablspoons, equivalent to half a cup):

costillardecerdolacado-3.jpg

Next, I turned my attention to the honey that I had chosen; the recipe specifies "runny acacia or woodland honey," but since I live in the middle of nowhere, I used this:

costillardecerdolacado-4.jpg

We actually have two local apiaries, and the next time I try this, I will use some raw honey from one of those sources.

Keeping to the ratio described above, I added 1.5 (equivalent to 18 tablespoons) cups of honey to the seasoned vinegars:

costillardecerdolacado-5.jpg

And stirred everything together:

costillardecerdolacado-6.jpg

This resulted in a wonderful concoction that promised to take my ribs to a whole new level!

Marinating the ribs is not necessary; a simple shake of salt and pepper - perhaps with the addition of a little pimentón de la Vera - is all that is needed. Having said that, I decided to let the ribs take in the flavours for a couple of hours, just because that's how I'd seen them done before. With this in mind, I poured the lacado mixture into a roasting pan, gave the ribs a modest dusting of salt and pepper, and then brushed the lacado mixture onto the surface:

costillardecerdolacado-7.jpg

I then turned the ribs face-down into the bottom of a roasting pan, dusted the bone side with a little salt and pepper, and brushed some of the lacado mixture on that side as well:

costillardecerdolacado-8.jpg

Once again, this is not necessary, but it certainly doesn't hurt a bit.

While the ribs soaked up the vinegars and honey for a couple of hours, I got ready for my barbecue. I brushed some yellow mustard onto some country-style ribs and dusted them with a standard barbecue rub; once that was done, I set up and lit my offset smoker, bringing it to a nice running temperature in the neighbourhood of 250 degrees. When everything was ready, I tossed all the pork onto the grates and began my cooking:

costillardecerdolacado-9.jpg

After a couple of hours, things were coming along nicely, so I began "painting" the lacado mixture on my ribs; first the bone-side:

costillardecerdolacado-10.jpg

And then the top:

costillardecerdolacado-11.jpg

I said it before and will say it again: simple is the way to go, and nothing elaborate is needed in order to produce beautiful, juicy, tender barbecue ribs that taste like a million dollars. You can be complicated if you want to, and have some very wonderful things - I've done it many times myself - but it's not necessary all the time, and this experience was proving exactly that.

I kept brushing and flipping and brushing the ribs every hour or so, whenever I added hickory or charcoal to the firebox of the smoker. It wasn't long before the ribs started to take on a beautiful shine and develop some deep, rich colour:

costillardecerdolacado-12.jpg

As you can see, I also brushed the lacado mixture onto the CSRs as well.

About three hours into the cook, I moved the ribs over closer to the heat:

costillardecerdolacado-13.jpg

The idea here was to allow the lacado mixture to glaze on in thin layers, allowing it to really earn its reputation as it "lacquered" the ribs:

costillardecerdolacado-14.jpg

Whaddaya think? I think they're coming along nicely, myself:

costillardecerdolacado-15.jpg

By the time the ribs were just about ready, the lacado and the heat had done their work beautifully, creating a wonderful, crackling shine on the ribs:

costillardecerdolacado-16.jpg

Between the lacado, the sweet hickory smoke and the pork itself, the aromas wafting up from the grates were enough to really bring out the carnivore in almost anyone:

costillardecerdolacado-17.jpg

When the everythng was ready, I brought it all in; first the CSRs:

costillardecerdolacado-18.jpg

And then the ribs:

costillardecerdolacado-19.jpg

I couldn't really stop myself - I took another picture:

costillardecerdolacado-20.jpg

And another:

costillardecerdolacado-21.jpg

The family couldn't stand it any longer, so I cut the ribs into sections and tossed them into the pit to be devoured. As you can see, there was - in addition to everything else - wonderful smoke penetration:

costillardecerdolacado-22.jpg

The taste was incredible. The smoked pork was just about perfect, with a savory, beautiful "bacon on a stick" flavour that comes from a really good barbecue. This was enhanced by the sweet/sour flavour and the crackling sheen of the lacado. A home-run all-around. This little trip to Castillian Spain was a nice way to enjoy a Sunday afternoon on a sunny spring day.

Hopefully, I've made it clear with this pictorial that simple can often be the way to go, and - if done right - will provide some very wonderful barbecue. Four ingredinets. You all have them in your kitchen or pantry. Try this, and you won't be sorry.

One hour before lunch break and I am soooooo hungry after looking at those pictures... Definetely gonna try this. But due to a lack of a barbecue, I will make it in the oven.

Hello, @Miraculix, and thank you for the kind words about these ribs They are good, indeed!

You certainly can make them in the oven; they might lack the extra-special "something" that barbecued ribs have, due to the lack of smoke, but they will certainly be good. Just remember to apply the "lacquer" in several thin layers!

If you are adventurous, you could try one thing: if you have "liquid smoke," you could brush some on, before seasoning the ribs. I know - I KNOW - that this is breaking a HUGE barbecue pitmaster's rule...but I have done it before, in the winter when I wasn't able to smoke the ribs, and the ribs came out fine. It is an option, should you choose to try.

Good luck - and please let us know how you like them!

Ron

Hello, @Miraculix, and thank you for the kind words about these ribs They are good, indeed!

You certainly can make them in the oven; they might lack the extra-special "something" that barbecued ribs have, due to the lack of smoke, but they will certainly be good. Just remember to apply the "lacquer" in several thin layers!

If you are adventurous, you could try one thing: if you have "liquid smoke," you could brush some on, before seasoning the ribs. I know - I KNOW - that this is breaking a HUGE barbecue pitmaster's rule...but I have done it before, in the winter when I wasn't able to smoke the ribs, and the ribs came out fine. It is an option, should you choose to try.

Good luck - and please let us know how you like them!

Ron

Thanks, that's a great idea. Will try the liquid smoke! Did use that to make a nice barbecue sauce multiple times, as long as it is the pure version I really like it.

Just wanted to share, I wasnt a fan of fall off the bone type ribs I usually have around here... but these turned out much better, the spice/flavor was perfect... I used just Honey/ACV Salt Pepper and a few drops of habanero sauce and pretty much did as you described. I may have under cooked them just a tad... finished at 180 or so for 4 hrs cooking at 220-250 in my smoker...
thanks OP for the recipe...

ribs.jpg

ribs2.jpg

20171008_154639.jpg

Just wanted to share, I wasnt a fan of fall off the bone type ribs I usually have around here... but these turned out much better, the spice/flavor was perfect... I used just Honey/ACV Salt Pepper and a few drops of habanero sauce and pretty much did as you described. I may have under cooked them just a tad... finished at 180 or so for 4 hrs cooking at 220-250 in my smoker...
thanks OP for the recipe...
... And again, this thread got me shortly before lunch break....

Me so hungry!!!!

Hi, wyowolf - they look great, and I am glad you like them!

I may have under cooked them just a tad

Yep, It's always a bit of a subjective thing...with these, I've noticed that it is okay, and even desirable, to give them a good hit of heat toward the end. It required a leap of fait h on my part, and a couple of tries to get it, right, but it was worth it. Either way, though - the flavor profile is what is important...whatever method you ultimately use, this profile works great with it.

I am glad you enjoyed them, and encourage others to give them a try! :mug:

Back