cask conditioning in 5L mini-kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanneltrees804

Reaction score
I was at my LHBS the other week and they had plain, unmarked 5L mini-kegs like what Oberon and some other beers come in. I didn't ask about them but I got to thinking about using them like you would cask conditioned beer... just add priming sugar, fill and seal it up. The tap is built in and depending on how it's built, you may even be able to reuse them. Has anyone done this, does anyone know if this is possible?

Start with the first threaed in the similar threads box below. Then search for threads with titles like "5 liter mini kegs" and you'll find a ton of information....There were tons of threads on here when they first came out. They've kinda dropped out of the consciousness of most brewers, or everyone's figured out what to do.

I did it once. Worked great. I kegged most of a batch in a corny and then filled the 5L keg and added a bit of priming sugar solution. After a couple weeks to carb, I chilled it down. When ready to serve, I knocked out the bung and opened the tap.

Back