(Cart Before Horse) Newb All Grain Recipes 4 What I have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc300ftw

Reaction score
I decided to go all grain and bought a 55lb bag of Breiss 2 row (cart before horse) and then decided to take a few of my favorite recipes and order extra of everything and then a grab bag of hops. So after making a couple of recipes that turned out pretty well I want to try new things. So I know a decent amount the different types of malt, pretty good understanding of bittering / aroma hops, and can pair up some yeast with them that will work. Every time i try and sit down to match someone's recipes or make my own I get anxious about whether to pull the trigger. I dont want to let the stuff go bad or stale but I want some delicious beers too. So if its not too much to ask ill post up some of what I have and see what yall can throw at me.
:mug:
Malt:
35ish lbs Breiss 2 row
6 lbs munich malt 10L
8 lbs Belgian Pale malt
.5lbs Honey malt
2 lbs Biscuit malt
10lbs Crystal 40L
2 lbs Black patent malt
2 lbs Chocolate malt

Hops:
1 oz brewers gold
2 oz Equinox
2 oz Galaxy
2 oz mosaic
1 oz saaz Chezh
2 oz ger perle
2 oz chinook
1 oz amarillo
2 oz Centennial

(yeast whatever i need to get i can get from LHBS)

Ive tried a bunch of different SMASH 1 gallon batches to get to know the different hops but am not confident mixing up stuff just yet.

I've been brewing a lot of beers lately that are minor variations on 85% pilsner malt (you could substitute 2-row) and 15% munich, with noble-ish hops like Mt. Hood. That's my "master recipe" this year because I bought a 55 lb bag of French/Belgian pilsner malt.

Just keep your recipes simple. One base malt, one specialty malt, and one or two hops. It will make you a better brewer. (I'm talking to myself as much as I am you) Complexity is the devil ;)

I've been brewing a lot of beers lately that are minor variations on 85% pilsner malt (you could substitute 2-row) and 15% munich, with noble-ish hops like Mt. Hood. That's my "master recipe" this year because I bought a 55 lb bag of French/Belgian pilsner malt.

Just keep your recipes simple. One base malt, one specialty malt, and one or two hops. It will make you a better brewer. (I'm talking to myself as much as I am you) Complexity is the devil ;)

Yes sir, thats what my 1 gallon batches have been mostly. I freak out less about the grains and more about the hops. I've been doing the brew dudes 1 gallon w/ 1oz (.25@60 .25@20 .25@5 .25@0 or dryhop the last) and adding variants to the 2row and its been a good learning experience. I'm Probably just overthinking it and need to keep plugging away trying different things. thanks for the quick response ill try the mt hood next.

Latest posts

Back