Cars that failed due to poor aesthetics.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
In this thread you will post cars that would have succeeded if they weren't so friggin ugly.

Subaru Baja
157161.3-lg.jpg

Pontiac Aztek
198_2738-pontiac-aztec.jpg

Pontiac GTO
2004gto9a8qv.jpg

Aztek is the first one that came to mind when I read the thread title.

They must have replaced their M&Ms with Vicodin during that project.

Delorean, what a dog. But I liked the movie!! I guess it wasn't due to poor aesthetics, just plain sillyness.

DeLorean.jpg

Anything by Scion. Fuuuuglyyyy.

The Hako;

scion-hako-coupe-concept-05.jpg

The xb;

2008_scion_xb_gold_new.jpg

And the Fuse looks like something out of the next Transformer's movie

scion_fuse_concept_2006_01_m.jpg

I used to own an element. It was actually a very well designed vehicle. It had rubber matting for washing out the floor boards with a hose. Water proof seats, a metric **** ton of leg and head room. The back seats had more than enough leg room for my lanky self.

The rear seats were as easy to get into as the front seats, due to the suicide doors. It also had alot of cargo room.

I had a single color burgandy. not the stuipid looking two tone with roughed up fiberglass. It was the AWD version, which did extremely well in the ice and snow. It tracked well and with the FWD prominantly helping during slick conditions.

my only complaint was that the motor was a little bit underpowered. It really could of used another 100 Hp to balance it right. It also was limited on seating, it sat 4. Which is the main reason we sold it. My wife and I had one son, then she became pregnant with twins. Which would not of worked for us. So we traded it in for a Honda Pilot, Which is less roomy.

VW thing...

HERESY I SAY!!!

:off:
There is a guy that lives near me with one that is olive drab green w/ the medical red cross in white circle insignia... Not to mention the motor is all built to hell... Met him at the local Kroger and he proceeded to drop the hammer on it out of the parking lot... Nothing cooler than a Thing zipping down the road spinning third gear....

I always thought the '92-'97 Skylarks were fugly.
800px-Buick-Skylark-coupe.jpg

The 2004 Kia Amanti was pretty fugly as well.
04.amanti.6_(400x300).jpg

Plus pretty much anything by Citroen.
27-citroen-ds.jpg

Anyone else wanna add the Aztek? :p

The Nissan Quest. Sadly, this is exactly like my "ride," just add a roof rack.:(
2000%20Nissan%20Quest%20A.jpg

I drive that exact vehicle, a 96. They changed the body styling in 2000-something and it looks better now.

And I think the Edsel actually looks nice, even though it also looks like it has a vag jammed into the front grille. I thought it was the internal workings that made it fail.

Geo Metro?
And the New Super Mini Daimler-Benze offering. The "Smart".

There are a number of cars in this thread that were immensely popular, regardless of their horrid styling. I believe that BOTH of the cars you posted weren't failures. The Metro was a crappy cheap car but sold well. The ForTwo is ugly but there's a waiting list.

I used to own an element. It was actually a very well designed vehicle. It had rubber matting for washing out the floor boards with a hose. Water proof seats, a metric **** ton of leg and head room. The back seats had more than enough leg room for my lanky self.

The rear seats were as easy to get into as the front seats, due to the suicide doors. It also had alot of cargo room.

I had a single color burgandy. not the stuipid looking two tone with roughed up fiberglass. It was the AWD version, which did extremely well in the ice and snow. It tracked well and with the FWD prominantly helping during slick conditions.

my only complaint was that the motor was a little bit underpowered. It really could of used another 100 Hp to balance it right. It also was limited on seating, it sat 4. Which is the main reason we sold it. My wife and I had one son, then she became pregnant with twins. Which would not of worked for us. So we traded it in for a Honda Pilot, Which is less roomy.

+1. I *love* my Elm. Function over form, which is beautiful in my book every day of the week. I'm constantly shocked at how much stuff I can fit in there, it's basically my pickup truck. I've brought how hundreds of bricks at a time, I've lugged 16' lengths of 4x4s, a 27' extension ladder. Pretty much anything. Take out the backseats and it's like a cargo van, and it's pretty comfy for long drives. I'm also pretty tall, and I've got a good 6" of headroom. Oh, and the turning radius is incredibly tight, it's great for parking or hell, I can just turn around in the middle of the road if I need to.

There are a number of cars in this thread that were immensely popular, regardless of their horrid styling. I believe that BOTH of the cars you posted weren't failures. The Metro was a crappy cheap car but sold well. The ForTwo is ugly but there's a waiting list.

Both were, the Smart most recently, listed as "Worst cars of" on a couple lists. That alone, gets a FAIL. Only difference is that the Smart is still in production.

There was a wait list on the Geo Storms too, til' they started to spontaneously combust.

If you want to get nit-picky, the Scions have had better sales than "most" everything else in the thread.

Both were, the Smart most recently, listed as "Worst cars of" on a couple lists. That alone, gets a FAIL. Only difference is that the Smart is still in production.

There was a wait list on the Geo Storms too, til' they started to spontaneously combust.

If you want to get nit-picky, the Scions have had better sales than "most" everything else in the thread.

And for that reason, the Scion isn't a failure either. The Geo Storm was a massive success too, lots of them had sold.

This is about cars that didn't sell due purely to aesthetics. The ForTwo, Storm, Metro, and Scions have all sold fantastically, so they haven't failed. I'd argue that the DeLorean wasn't an aesthetic failure either, it failed because of production issues and John's drug trafficking charges. I think the Edsel's issue wasn't one of aesthetics either.

There are some cars on this list, like the Element and like the Scion (which I also love) which are really designed to be almost anti-aesthetic. The boxy Scion, I can't remember the numbers, is basically a big "Eff You!" These cars KNOW that they will be considered "ugly" according to the conventional wisdom. You drive a Scion, people are going to notice. No one noticed the Element anymore because at least around me, there's a ****ton of them on the road; people around here seem to love them.

The Aztek tried to be in this vein, but somehow... they just overshot. That was just an epic fail of Biblical proportion, perhaps because they didn't have the credibility of the Honda or Toyota/Scion engineering behind them.

The cars to ME that really *are* ugly are the things like that Skylark, that were always dull and, at best, would be described as emminently forgetable.

My last car before my Vibe (Pontiac's second try at the crossover after the Aztek. This time they got it right.) was a Geo Metro. It was a great little car. Perfect for us. We took a trip down the coast and I just reached 50 mpg for the trip. Fantastic. It has more room inside than you realize and could hold the three of us and a week's worth of luggage on a road trip. And so long as you weren't trying to drive over a mountain pass, it was actually a pretty zippy little car. I cracked 400k miles on it before moving on and the guy I gave it to is still driving it, just not on the freeway.

I checked out the Element when I was car shopping and that car makes complete sense. Everything in it was well thought out towards utility. I just couldn't bring myself to buy one due to the fugly factor.

I completely love my Vibe.

Back