Caribbean beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailingeric

Beer. Now there's a temporary solution
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Currently sailing with some friends on 45 foot sailboat from Antigua to Grenada and have sampled a couple local brews. Had Hairoun beer today on the island of Bequia and it was pretty good. Nice and refreshing after a two day sail from Antigua it is brewed on the island of St Vincent.

The other beer, Carib, from Antigua, very lacking and if in a can, pissy toilet water would taste better.

We will be in Grenada in a couple of days so hopefully they will have something local as well.

Yeah, beer offerings in the Caribbean are generally so weak like those (and at three-fitty or more in the store at that!) that I switch to fruity rum drinks during our annual two weeks in that general vicinity. With a fifth of good rum going to $14 down there, the math isn't difficult.

That said, occasionally one lucks upon something totally outanowhere...

Islandpirateale.jpg

Cheers!

When it's hot as hell and you're vibin' on the beach I sort of dig the light island style piss-water lagers. I'd never drink them here at home but when in roam I'm down. Idk why lol.

and day tripper.... that pic is awesome. It's making me hate my life and question all my life decisions.

Gotta agree with ya there! Beautiful pic. I like the Mount Gay rum. The choice of pirates everywhere for 300 years! :tank:

Antigua is one of my favorite Islands. When I am there, I don't drink much more than Rum. If I have a beer it is most often Red Stripe. Enjoy the trip. :mug:

Red Stripe's pretty good when I'm waiting on the bbq in warm weather. Especially chicken with a hot rub of some kind.

Red Stripe is always my go-to summer beer. It tastes like summer to me! Idk how they fit in all that sunshine, cool breeze, salty air, and a stingy sunburn in that little 11.2 oz bottle. Makes me want one right now. :tank:

I am going to be in the Bahamas soon.
I remember they had Kalik, tasted like a MGD lite.
Luckily it is all inclusive, so I can drink Rum!

Any beer I should be looking for?

Pyg, look for kalik gold or gold cow bells as they call them. High abv malt liquor and pretty decent. Regular kalik is meh. Love fresh red stripe when in Jamaica or dragon stout.

Back