Carboy washer pump runs intermittently

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrench

Reaction score
I built a carboy/keg washer out of a large bucket, pump, and some PVC like so many others. The pump I used is a sump pump that I had sitting around. The label peeled off years ago so I can't give you any specs on it.

Here's the problem: the pump will only run for about 1/2 second, then shuts off for about 3 seconds before repeating. It's not a thermal-shutoff feature because it happens from the get-go with cold water. Could it be an issue with too much back-pressure? Has anyone else seen a similar problem or know of a solution?

What size pvc? So after it shuts off, you have to turn it back on or it will start up on its own? Right off the bat I think of the motor to the pump being bad...shorted out windings make the internal breaker trip....

1" PVC. The pump restarts itself after 3 seconds, so while not ideal it still gets the job done. It just takes a lot longer to clean.

1" isnt enough restriction to cause problems. Try googling your problem and see what comes up. I think there's a problem with your pump motor.

Make sure you don't have any restrictions in the intake. Make sure you aren't sucking the bottom of the tub up against the intake - that's what caused a similar problem in my setup.

Back