Carboy to bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevfar100

Reaction score
How do I transfer from my carboy to the bottling bucket? Siphon? A hard tube with a black cap at the end came with my kit, looks like its to avoid traveling trub- but it's curved and won't reach the bottom of my carboy.
I also don't have a pump, any tips on the best way to start the siphoning?

That's a racking cane, if you have the time (like you haven't started yet) I'd run to your LHBS and grab a nice big auto-siphon.

How do I transfer from my carboy to the bottling bucket? Siphon? A hard tube with a black cap at the end came with my kit, looks like its to avoid traveling trub- but it's curved and won't reach the bottom of my carboy.
I also don't have a pump, any tips on the best way to start the siphoning?

It's got plastic tubing to, right?

Just fill the hose with sanitizer, keep a finger over the end, lower into your bucket, let your finger off, catch water in bowl or whatever and when beer starts to come out place the end of the hose on the bottom of the bucket. By this point your priming sugar solution should already be in the bucket.

As for your racking cane not reaching the bottom of your carboy, sounds like you need a longer one.

Rick

Racking cane- can you tell me more about it's purpose? This is my first go, the obsession has kicked in, just not sure of the terminology yet. Racking?

Don't plan on bottling until next Thursday. Can you tell me more about an auto siphon too?

Super grateful for the help! Thank you & all. I plan on paying the knowledge forward as soon as I get my hb legs :)

Racking cane- can you tell me more about it's purpose? This is my first go, the obsession has kicked in, just not sure of the terminology yet. Racking?

Don't plan on bottling until next Thursday. Can you tell me more about an auto siphon too?

Super grateful for the help! Thank you & all. I plan on paying the knowledge forward as soon as I get my hb legs :)

Racking = siphoning, same thing.

An auto-siphon does the same thing your rig does, it's just a little less tricky to use. I've used both and to be honest I use the auto out of convenience. Your model will work fine. You may wish to try it out on just water once or twice tho. ;)

Rick

If you're more of a visual person like me then type auto siphon or racking cane in YouTube. There are numerous videos on how to transfer to a bottling bucket.

Latest posts

Back