Carboy Graduations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossy

Reaction score
I think I have seen somebody do something similar on here before, but here is my take on it with a few lessons learned.

I was tired of estimating how much water was in my carboy and wanted a permanent solution. My wife has a Cricut machine so I employed her to cut out some markings in sticky vinyl to use as a stencil. Seen below.

DSC_0007.jpg

This step took me awhile to decide what to use for my "official" measure. I ended up measuring out 2 cups of water by weight with a powder scale (this took awhile) and found my Oxo 2 cup measure to be nearly dead on. So then 2 cups at a time I measured each mark out.

DSC_0013.jpg

I used a combination square to make a reference line with a dry erase marker. Another way to speed this up is I found it easiest to have a larger vessel to pour each 1/4 gal. into. After I added it I would measure out the next pour while the water settled down in the carboy. This served a double purpose to every time I added water I knew I needed to make a line I got ahead of myself once and added a line at the 1/8 gal. and it took me a minute to be sure of what I had done.

After I got all the marks added I used Armor Etch (shown below) to etch the glass. The instructions said to apply it for 60 seconds it took me several minutes to get it added to all the lines and I still wasn't happy with how solid the etchings were. Luckily I planned for this and washed it off lightly and I was able to apply a second coat and left it on for a good 10 mins. I think it turned out pretty well.

DSC_0019.jpg

I did something similar with mine, but I used 2L increments, since like most Americans I don't understand how fractions work.

I think it is Bobby_M taht has the purchaseable dual backed stick on templates for this. Just peel, stick, peel, etch, peel, done.

I can appreciate how cool the etching is just the same. I had a customer ask me to make vinyl in negative for the same purpose. The etching has the advantage of being permanent in a literal forever kind of way. My vinyl decals are rated for 5-7 years of punishment.

Damn that Cricut is an expensive little scam.

Yeah, I have Bobby_M's on a few of my carboys. Been there since he first started selling them I wanna say over a year ago now and they still seem fine.
I thought about etching them for a long time, but eventually just went with what was easiest.

I can appreciate how cool the etching is just the same. I had a customer ask me to make vinyl in negative for the same purpose. The etching has the advantage of being permanent in a literal forever kind of way. My vinyl decals are rated for 5-7 years of punishment.

Damn that Cricut is an expensive little scam.

Ahhh. My apologies. I was certain you had a etching template set too.

Now that I have the illustrator file already set up, another dozen sets are just a keystroke away in case anyone wants to do that... I just don't have a buy now button on the site for them.

Yeah the Cricut isn't something I would buy, but it's leverage with I want to purchase new brewing equipment or something for my various other expensive hobbies. SWMBO is a teacher so she uses it a lot for her classroom.

It is a bit overkill compared to the decal method but I don't have to worry about it again. I think decals would end up getting peeled up by my carboy harness though. I actually threw away the cutouts haha.

Thanks Ty!

my decals didn't last very long after my thorough carboy scrubbings, so I employed this method as well. However, I just used the blue painters tape. I bought some numbers and built a square around the number, so the etchant fills the box, but the number is 'clear'

I first saw this thread a few years back.

Good work Rossy!

The etching is cool. I like that.

I used pin striping tape on mine. If that stuff can take the abuse that it gets on a car it will surely hold up to what ill put it through on a carboy.

my decals didn't last very long after my thorough carboy scrubbings, so I employed this method as well. However, I just used the blue painters tape. I bought some numbers and built a square around the number, so the etchant fills the box, but the number is 'clear'

I first saw this thread a few years back.

Good work Rossy!

You could probably do what he did in the thread with Bobby_M's kit and some masking tape.

Ya the lighting in that picture and the reflections through the glass make it kinda freaky. I ordered some decals for my sight tubes from you. The should be sitting in my PO Box right now. Thanks. :mug:

Latest posts

Back