carboy cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugenBrau

Reaction score
I was just given a 6.5 carboy. It had ammonia in it. Theree is a brown line sidde of it that I cannot remove. It looks like someone poured Iodaphor into it. I can't for the life of me get it off. I've used PBW, oxiclean, B Brite, bleach, scrubbed it with no satisfactory result. Any suggestions? (And yes I know....get a bucket. However that won't get the carboy clean) Thanks

Have you tried using caustic soda? Otherwise, you may not need to do any more cleaning -- you've used bleach, so there shouldn't be any bacteria in it, so it may be usable as is, if you can live with the unsightly stain.

Out of curiousity, I assume the carboy is glass?

IF the previos owner had something in it that etched the glass, it's never going away. I would try the caustic soda and if still there afterwards, I would only use it with extreme caution as the pits from the etching can harbor bugs that are hard to remove. Also, since carboys are made from soda glass, and notoriously fragile, any etching could cause weak points in the glass (albeit however small) where a crack could migrate from causing not only a loss of precious wort/beer but also a very dangerous situation. Just my $.02

Latest posts

Back