Carboy Cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I use them that way all the time. I even use them when I pressurize the fermenter with co2 to get the siphon going.

I have had one that didn't make a good seal, but all others I've had work great.

Are they supposed to fit where you can twist them? This one comes off easy with little pressure.
I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Also wondering about these. I have two as well and they are very lose on my carboys. I bought hem thinking I could start a siphon but they won't seal tight enough for it. Italian glass carboys if that matters.

Also wondering about these. I have two as well and they are very lose on my carboys. I bought hem thinking I could start a siphon but they won't seal tight enough for it. Italian glass carboys if that matters.

The carboy I have is also Italian Glass-not sure if that matters.
The one I have is not a screw type- it's 3 gallon.
I'm just not convinced it fits tight enough.

Yeah I fermented with an airlock on mine one time. It's so loose I didn't get any airlock activity. All the co2 escaped around the cap

I find that they don't seal very well. When i ferment i loosely affix a ring clamp. Even then there is frequently kraussen dripping down the side of the carboy.

When i'm racking under co2 pressure i find they actually work better than with no pressure. Seems that temperature is important too. In the winter my basement is a little colder and the plastic is stiffer and they don't hold as well as in the summer.

Solution: stainless conical fermenter

Are these caps good to use to seal carboys during fermentation?
I only question because it seems to seal but is easy to remove. Just seems like it would not seal good.
View attachment 301208

All I use with my 6 gallon carboys. They seal great. I've used drilled bungs too but these can be trickier to place when they and the carboy are wet. I'm a fan of carboy caps. No problems with a seal and I use them when racking to the keg too.

Fermentation 48 hours ferment.jpg

Racking
Racking 3.jpg

Latest posts

Back