Carboy bung keeps popping out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cms

Reaction score
I just racked into my carboy and the bung/airlock combo keep popping up. I shove it in there nice and tight and within a few minutes, it's always pushed back up, just sitting there cockeyed.

I suspect the problem is that the neck of the carboy and the bung are both slick with starsan solution. But short of drying it off with paper towel or leaving it exposed for a long time while they dry by evaporation, what can I do to keep that thing in there? Does this happen to anyone else?

Glass or better bottle carboy? What size and kind of stopper do you have? You say that you just racked. How long has it been in primary for?

That happens to me the added lube is allowing the wedge to lose friction (coeffiecient of friction has changed). dry it off with a clean piece of paper towel. You will be fine.

I just wipe the carboy and stopper with a paper towel, this works for all of my stopper woes except for one bottle, no matter what I do it keeps popping out, I solved the issue with a couple strips of electrical tape.

let it sit cockeyed for a little while and dry it off. won't hurt anything if CO2 is moving out of the carboy. it will not allow Beasties in if the airflow is going out. once dry the bung with set in and stay.

I had that problem when I was using 1-Step. The oxygen based cleaners have some slipperiness to them.. Now that I use star san I don't seem to have that problem. When I did have that problem I'd just dry it off with a clean cloth and not worry.

Hmmm, Is the hole in your bung or your airlock gummed up or plugged? are you seeing bubbles pass through your airlock once you've firmly seated your bung? It's hard to image there would be enough pressure building up to push your bung out of place if your airlock is functioning properly?

Mark

I just racked into my carboy and the bung/airlock combo keep popping up. I shove it in there nice and tight and within a few minutes, it's always pushed back up, just sitting there cockeyed.

I suspect the problem is that the neck of the carboy and the bung are both slick with starsan solution. But short of drying it off with paper towel or leaving it exposed for a long time while they dry by evaporation, what can I do to keep that thing in there? Does this happen to anyone else?

I generally shove the stopper in and twist, seems to keep everything seated when pressure builds

Thanks for all the responses.

To answer some of the questions, the carboy is glass and the stopper fits in there fine - I can show it all the way down the the rubber is flush with the top if I really lean in to it.

I considered using some paper towel as some suggested but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of sanitizing?

In the end, it dried off enough and I was able to press it in place and it's still there today.

I may get one of those carboy caps. When it's inserted so far from being warm and slick, when it was time to remove the stopper last time it was a real challenge. I think that cap solves all the problems with the added benefit of being able to accept a blow-off tube in case I ever need to do that.

I know exactly what your talking about, and it's definitely annoying. If the stopper or the neck is wet, it will continue to slide out. When push comes to shove I grab some painters tape and strap that baby down. Once it dries, it will stay in.

I also recently got a better bottle with the stopper linked above. No slipping/sliding.

lol.. Hi SKMO,
You should see what I was going to type;
" How is your bung hole? Is it all plugged up?"
But somehow that just doesn't sound right :p

Mark

Sorry, but I can't hold back..

Did you make your bung hole angdee? (beevis and Butthead reference)

ROFL @ someone using the phrase "lick this problem" in a thread about excess gas escaping from the bung hole....

Is it just me, or is this thread 'ripe' with possibilities? :D

All childish humor aside, if we can.....

The Universal Bung 40490, like Northern Brewer sells, is way superior to any drilled plug.

The drilled solids just want to squirt back out of the whatever you try to put them in.

Just my opinion....

All childish humor aside, if we can.....
The drilled solids just want to squirt back out of the whatever you try to put them in.

Premature bung-jaculation?

. .. couldn't resist that one.....

Back