Carboy Aging VS Cornelius Keg Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheNuke

Reaction score
Cornelius kegs take up much less space per 5 gallon batch in my keezers than Carboys. For example I can get 11 kegs into a Frigidaire 14.6 cf chest freezer; but only 6 carboys into the same chamber.

Please keep in mind that my question is based on secondary conditioning once the FG is reached for clean/non-soured beer. Such as lagering. A good cold crash before racking off of the primary yeast cake will ensure minimal yeast bed transfer.

The issue is O2 entry. If I lube the O-rings and close it there is no guarantee that the keg is sealed tightly. If I pressurize it with a bit of CO2 that will set the O-rings but what effect does it have on the aging process if any? The keg will also pressurize over time. I have read much of the thread based on pressurized fermentation - maybe this isn't much of an issue per that thread.

Good deal! But in this case it will keep Oxygen from leaching in and destroying my lager or Cuvee Van De Keizer.

It should be fine, if you were ageing in a bottle there would be co2 pressure, and bottle aged beers turn out just fine. I would be careful about getting rid of too much yeast when lagering though, iirc the yeast are part of the lagering process. I never transfer when layering, but that's just me.

If you are still concerned about the pressure hit it with co2 and make sure it is sealed the. Pull the prv once the keg seals it is generally sealed (even without pressure) until you open it again (at least mine do)

It should be fine, if you were ageing in a bottle there would be co2 pressure, and bottle aged beers turn out just fine. I would be careful about getting rid of too much yeast when lagering though, iirc the yeast are part of the lagering process. I never transfer when layering, but that's just me.

If you are still concerned about the pressure hit it with co2 and make sure it is sealed the. Pull the prv once the keg seals it is generally sealed (even without pressure) until you open it again (at least mine do)

Wouldn't you have to fully carbonate the kegged beer for the pressure and seal to hold? Just pressurizing would cause the CO2 to dissipate into the beer and subsequent loss of pressure/seal, no? Would it be better to fully carbonate the beer in the keg first and then lager?

My only question would be what happens to all the yeast/trub/other post-fermentation detritus that ends up on the bottom of the keg within about 24 hours?

Assuming the kegs were to be filled straight from primary sans any attempt to drop all that stuff out before hand, plugging the dip tube is a potential issue, regardless if the plan is to rack off to a dispensing keg or a bottling bucket - or even dispense directly from the same keg...

Cheers!

If you're storing the kegs in the keezer isn't temperature going to be an issue? Won't the cold dramatically slow down any aging?

(Edit: missed the lager bit ... carry on.)

Back