Carbonic Acid and Repressurizing Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radial67

Reaction score
So Im not that good with water Chemsitry and all that sort of stuff, but I have a keg that I took to a BBQ the other day with a short picnic tap on it.

The keg naturally got repressurized over and over while I was there and we didnt finish it.

When I got home I decided not to put the keg in the Kegerator, instead, left the picnic tap on it and put the keg in the fridge. Overnight the remnants of the beer equalized in the low pressure headspace of the keg and the beer went flat so I re-force carbed the beer again.

Now the beer has a distinct soda-water-esque bite to it (like you added the astringency of soda water without watering the beer down).

What has happened here? I am assuming that the bite I am tasting (similar to soda water) is carbonic acid? Does that mean that every time a beer is depressurized (or is subjected to a lower headspace pressure than what is kept in suspension) in the keg, subsequent force-re-carbing increases the concentration of carbonic acid?

Feedback is appreciated...

Many thanks

The force carbing causes that biting taste. Also shaking the keg kicks up the crap on the bottom, possibly giving it a weird taste. It will get better over time. Give it a few days.

Would I not get as much of that astringent bite if I prime because the build up of CO2 takes longer?

Is carbonic acid is a function of repeated/speed of carbonation.

Also, there seems to be a residual once it dies down and never disappears

Back