Carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pike

Reaction score
Hello all, This is my first attempt at brewing beer. My grandfather used to brew all the time, and I have always wanted to give it a try. Anyway I bought a brew kit from beer and wine.com and it comes with the basic amber ale brewing ingredients.
My question is, the sugar I will use before bottling will produce the carbonation, and I want, well, a lot of carbonation in my beer. Should I go beyond the recipe and add a little more sugar if I want more carbonation. I understand to much sugar will possible add to much carbonation and might pop my caps or brake my bottles.
How far is to far beyond the recommended amount? Or If I only go with the recommended amount will the carbonation be, say like a store bought beer.
I don't like flat beer!! And I don't want to brew a flat beer.
Another question, Is there a big difference between basic table sugar and priming sugar? Can I use table sugar?
Thanks

use priming sugar. its more fermentable then table sugar.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

thats a priming sugar calculator for different kinds of sugar and you can see whats recommended for different styles. also you can see the low and high end ranges for cabonation so aim it on the high side if you want

Yeah, table sugar will give you this yucky fruity taste to your beer that isn't as prevalent in the priming sugar. For your first attempt, I recommend you use the amount of sugar that the recipe is calling for. Leave it for at least three weeks at room temperature to carbonate and see how you like it. Cool the beer 24 hours before you want to drink it to ensure the available CO2 is in solution.

After you've done one or two brews the recommended way, you'll be better able to judge if you want more or less carbonation. If you do step it up, go very slow. Bottle bombs are no fun.

I started off with the beer-wine brew kit as well. I would caution against adding any more priming sugar then what comes with that kit. I think it's a great kit for the beginer when it comes to equipment (and it can't be bad if it comes with The Complete Joy of Homebrewing). Unlike many people who wind up with skunky first brews, my brew was very drinkable: it just had massive amounts of head. IMHO, natural carbonation does produce good results.....go by the recommended amounts first: because I can tell you from experience that too much carbonation is no fun (as you have to leave the beer bottle over the sink for at least 15 minutes as its blowing off its head:)

Yes Yes Yes, My kit came just about 15 Minutes ago. Thanks everyone for the advise. I think I will go "by the book" for the first brew. And decide from there where to go.
Also thanks Arneba28 for the calculator for sugar. I can see that will come in handy in the future.
Thanks again everyone.

I'm still a noob, but here is my 2 cents...

I brewed my first batch about 10 weeks ago, followed all the instructions to the "T", started "testing" the brew at 1 week intervals (after sitting for 2 weeks in bottles) to watch the results.

I couldn't have been happier, carbonation started slow but increased as it aged.

I must agree with all when they say...be patient

Keep in mind that carbonation and head retention are not the same thing. For example, Coca Cola is highly carbonated but does not hold a head. If you really want nice head retention, there are ways to skin that cat without adding extra sugar.

SteveM said:
Keep in mind that carbonation and head retention are not the same thing. For example, Coca Cola is highly carbonated but does not hold a head. If you really want nice head retention, there are ways to skin that cat without adding extra sugar.

I'm curious about this, as my blonde has a hell of a time holding a head, and we don't use Jet Dry for that very reason.

Yeah, I saw an additive on www.beer-wine.com that is for head retention.
Muntons Kreamy X Primer with Heading Powder. I have never used it, well because this my first batch of beer. But it did interest me. I have had other home brewed beer, ales. And that was one thing I noticed was the lack off a good Head. And also low carbonation.

For extract brewers, improving head retention is pretty simple. I know nothing about additives and have never used them. They are not needed. When you do your boil, use steeping grains - a pound or two (or, half a kilo to a kilo). Put them in a grain bag, let them sit in your water as you bring up the heat. Once you reach 160F (70C), remove the bag (and use the contents to feed squirrels, birds, your compost heap, whatever). Steeping grains give color and a bit of flavor but especially they contribute proteins that will aid in head retention.

Also, as a general rule, the longer your beer sits in the bottle, the better the head retention and carbonation will be.

http://www.beer-wine.com/product_info.asp?productID=1489&sectionID=1
This product here, "Muntons Kreamy X Primer with Heading Powder" seems to be an additive that helps in head retention. I have never used it, well because this is my first batch I have ever brewed. It did interest me though. Has anyone ever used anything like this

Oops, I guess I posted that twice. But at least there's the link. Yes, I did just that, crushed crystal Grain. I guess "Crystal" is just the name of the grain. That is good to know. I was worried about "My Head", but just a little.
I actually transferred to my secondary fermenter today. The recipe I am following calls for 3-4 days in "The Bucket", then check the gravity. When It has fallen to 1/2 of the original time to switch to the carboy. Then 7-10 days or until the gravity falls to 1.008- 1.012, I started with 1.044, and it went down to 1.016.

Back