Carbonation problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chazinn

Reaction score
I’m a beginner and have only brewed and bottled 2 batches so far. Although the third batch is fermenting now.
the 1st batch was NB’s Caribou Slobber extract kit and went very well. OG and FG were right in target. Moved to secondary for a month or 2 then bottled with the priming sugar that came with the kit. I got very uneven or no carbonation in 75% of the bottles. Did a lot of reading and let it bottle condition for another 2 or 3 weeks with no luck. Eventually I concluded that I didn’t mix things well enough. figured lesson learned.
Based on my reading I decided to try the fizz drops on the second 5 gallon batch. Another NB kit a Scottish Wee Heavy. Again everything seemed to progress well. Bottled a little over 2 weeks ago with the drops. Decided to crack one today only to find it completely flat. Zero carbonation. I’ll give it another couple of weeks but am worried it’ll turn out like the 1st batch.
I’m planning on condition my current batch for a month or 2 so I’ve got some time before bottling it, but I’m clearly screwing something up!
Is it possible that everything is settling during conditioning and I’m not getting enough yeast when I rack to the bottling bucket? All of the beers appear very clean/clear.
sorry for the length of this but am trying to provide enough info.

So sorry you're having these problems!

Could be due to insufficient mixing of the priming sugar, although you certainly would have some over-carbonated bottles in the batch too.

[EDIT] As long as you used the proper amount, by using "fizz drops" in each bottle, you fixed the possibly incomplete mixing of the priming sugar into the beer with your 2nd batch. :D

Here are the most common problems I can think of right now:
  • Are you using regular bottles, not twist offs?
  • How sure are you the caps are sealing tight?
  • What temp are you conditioning at?
Why the 2 months in the secondary? That's pretty long.

With longer time spent in fermenters/secondaries, it's possible there's not enough yeast left in the beer to carbonate it. Although it takes usually quite a bit longer, 6 months to up to a year, depending on the yeast used, and conditions it's "secondaried" at.
Lower temps make the yeast crash faster.

Last edited:
I use a priming solution. For my 1 gallon batches that's some fermentable sugar mixed in 1/2 cup (118 ml) of water. I bring them close to a boil with an occasional stir to make certain the sugar is mixed. Then let it cool to something less than 75°F (24°C). Swirling the pot helps it cool faster and you could even set the pot in an ice bath if you really want fast.

When adding the beer, I rack it into the priming solution. Aiming the end of the hose along the outer edge of the pot allows it too swirl the entire solution. This helps it all mix together. Sometimes when looking in the pot and having lighting at the right angle you can see little wavy areas in the solution. Usually along the bottom.

That probably is the denser sugar solution that is not mixed with the rest of the solution. Swirl or gently use something to stir it together till the wavy looking stuff on the bottom disappears. Then bottle. I've had very uniform results with my batches I've bottled. But certainly I haven't bottled enough yet to know if there is a flaw sometimes with my methods.

As for using carbonation drops added directly to the bottle, I've not read anything to convince me that's a good way to go. They are More expense and give less control of how much sugar per bottle. If you try to break them up, then you may as well just measure your own sugar directly into the bottles and not use the premeasured drops.

I'm not a fan of carb drops. IMO better to gently swirl a sugar solution into the full batch to be bottled. And then keep the bottles at 68 to 70 (F) for 3 weeks.

So sorry you're having these problems!

Could be due to insufficient mixing of the priming sugar, although you certainly would have some over-carbonated bottles in the batch too.

[EDIT] As long as you used the proper amount, by using "fizz drops" in each bottle, you fixed the possibly incomplete mixing of the priming sugar into the beer with your 2nd batch. :D

Here are the most common problems I can think of right now:
  • Are you using regular bottles, not twist offs?
  • How sure are you the caps are sealing tight?
  • What temp are you conditioning at?
Why the 2 months in the secondary? That's pretty long.

With longer time spent in fermenters/secondaries, it's possible there's not enough yeast left in the beer to carbonate it. Although it takes usually quite a bit longer, 6 months to up to a year, depending on the yeast used, and conditions it's "secondaried" at.
Lower temps make the yeast crash faster.
I used bottles from a local HB store. They are not twist off. But I don’t know how to tell for sure.
I have no idea if I have have a good seal
Or not. I’m using a capper from NB and they appear to be OK.
the 1st batch was in my basement so 64 to 68. The second batch was upstairs at 68 to 70.
im not sure about the time in secondaries. I followed the recommended times per instructions that came with the kit. I beginning to suspect not enough yeast but would that mean I need to transfer the trub to the bottling bucket? Or should I maybe pitch some
Yeast into the bottling bucket?

I've been keeping my newly bottled beer at about 72°F - 74°F for the two weeks I give it to carbonate. This was for beers I kept at 68°F - 69°F while fermenting.

Maybe the type yeast you used might decide the temp you carbonate at just like it does for fermenting.

TMK, there are only rare times you'd pitch yeast to bottle.

When you said in the OP some of your bottles were flat. You did mean that based on it not bubbling when poured into glass you could see into. If you were going by sound when you opened it, then that isn't a good tell.

I fill my bottles to a couple millimeters of the top and I don't get any pop or hiss when I open them. But there is lots of bubbles when poured.

I use a priming solution. For my 1 gallon batches that's some fermentable sugar mixed in 1/2 cup (118 ml) of water. I bring them close to a boil with an occasional stir to make certain the sugar is mixed. Then let it cool to something less than 75°F (24°C). Swirling the pot helps it cool faster and you could even set the pot in an ice bath if you really want fast.

When adding the beer, I rack it into the priming solution. Aiming the end of the hose along the outer edge of the pot allows it too swirl the entire solution. This helps it all mix together. Sometimes when looking in the pot and having lighting at the right angle you can see little wavy areas in the solution. Usually along the bottom.

That probably is the denser sugar solution that is not mixed with the rest of the solution. Swirl or gently use something to stir it together till the wavy looking stuff on the bottom disappears. Then bottle. I've had very uniform results with my batches I've bottled. But certainly I haven't bottled enough yet to know if there is a flaw sometimes with my methods.

As for using carbonation drops added directly to the bottle, I've not read anything to convince me that's a good way to go. They are More expense and give less control of how much sugar per bottle. If you try to break them up, then you may as well just measure your own sugar directly into the bottles and not use the premeasured drops.
I did use priming sugar on the 1st batch but didn’t stir it before bottling. I thought that was where I screwed up, uneven sugar distribution. That’s also why I chose the drops on the second batch. At least every bottle had some priming sugar.
the 2st batch was fermented at an average of 66 to 68 degrees. The second batch Was much cooler at 58 to 60 degrees. I was pretty anal about not getting any trub both times into the bottling bucket. I kept the siphon above the sediment layer each time.

Pardon the interruption:
after filling a keg if I have beer remaining in the fermenter I will bottle it and add one Domino Sugar Dot per 12 oz bottle or two Dots per bomber. Works great for about 2.5 vol of CO2.. be sure to get the Dots.

I've bottled 5 gallons using the Dots for priming and they work well.

Back