carbonation problems WHILE bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm on my 20th batch of the year, and had a really weird experience. I should say, though, that this is only my second belgian dubbel, and only my third or fourth high gravity brew.

The brew: standard belgian dubbel. a few lbs of rock candy in the wort. wyeast 1762 belgian abbey II strain. initial SG of 1.092 @70'F. After three weeks in primary, final SG of 1.014 @70'. After another month in secondary, 1.010. wanted to bottle to free up a fermenter for new brew. noticed some small bubbles exiting air lock, but assumed this was OK because of the low final gravity measurements. (*first mistake?*)

Next steps: i decided to prime with honey. i boiled 2/3 C. of clover honey in 2 cups water for five minutes. Let cool a few minutes, then poured into a clean fermenter and siphoned the brew in on top. stirred gently, then tried to start siphoning the brew into bottles. that's when things started getting weird.

The problem: immediately, the autosiphon began filling with bubbles, and the bottles were bubbling as i filled them. the bubbles were bigger than what you'd observe in normal "head" of carbonated beer, but they were similar insofar as they kept flowing over the tops of bottles, then slowly subsiding back into beer.

Controls: i checked all my fittings and tightened all siphon connections. the racking cane was free of any visible bubbles or air, but the outer siphon and bottles continued to fill rapidly with bubbles. the beer itself looked still, with no visible surface bubbles or air bubbles on the priming vessel. but i couldn't solve the problem, so finished bottling (not happy!). afterwards, i bottled another two brews using the exact same equipment and techniques, and both of those went normally with no bubble problems. the only difference, besides the brew, was that i primed the latter two with beet sugar instead of honey.

Questions: What caused the bubbling? Is all that oxygenation going to ruin the dubbel? Should I be worried about exploding bottles over the next few weeks? (My small apt necessitates bottle conditioning at room tempterature - about 75'-80'F).

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, theories, etc.

The only thing I could think of is that 2/3 cup honey to 2 cups of water would make too viscous of a solution, so a lot of it just sat on the bottom of the fermenter. The differences in density between the two liquids could cause the bubbles. Also, you may end up with uneven carbonation if my theory is correct.

Also, with an original gravity like that I'd give it 2 months in primary, not just 3 weeks. The yeast need time for that much sugar. You should only bottle after you get a constant gravity reading after several readings.

But I have to ask, where did you get the amount "2/3 cup" for priming with honey?

Also, as side notes:
I'm on my 20th batch of the year
Are you the only adult in your household? Don't let the Feds find out ;)

standard belgian dubbel. a few lbs of rock candy in the wort. wyeast 1762 belgian abbey II strain. initial SG of 1.092
Hot damn, that's the strongest dubbel I've ever seen. More like a quad or Dark Strong.

yeah i'm concerned the honey may have been part of the problem
But I have to ask, where did you get the amount "2/3 cup" for priming with honey?
i've bottled with honey a few times, but i've yet to find a good balance. Vol. II of Charlie Papazzan's intro books has a chart that suggests 1 C. honey to prime a 5 gal. batch. That really over carbonated my first batch, so I've since tried two batches at 3/4 C which worked fine. I wanted a lower carbonation on this brew, so I decided to step it down from3/4 to 2/3 C. All of that being said, I assume that the sugar content of honey can vary largely depending on the brand/quality/pollen source/etc.

I've bottled with honey a few times, but i've yet to find a good balance. Vol. II of Charlie Papazzan's intro books has a chart that suggests 1 C. honey to prime a 5 gal. batch. That really over carbonated my first batch, so I've since tried two batches at 3/4 C which worked fine. I wanted a lower carbonation on this brew, so I decided to step it down from3/4 to 2/3 C. All of that being said, I assume that the sugar content of honey can vary largely depending on the brand/quality/pollen source/etc.
That is most certainly the case. Just remember, corn sugar is 100% fermentable and 1lb=1lb=1lb.... you know, unless you're brewing on the moon or a gravitational anomaly.

I had a similar problem - turned out to be a very tiny kink in the rubber gasket on the wand that let air in from above. Changed the wand and it has never happened again.

Great! Thanks for all the replies everyone. I haven't had any problems with subsequent bottling batches, after heading all your good advice. Ya'll are the best. Cheers!

Back