carbonation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awaggoner

Reaction score
I brewed my fist batch of beer ever in early October, which turned out phenomenal. However, i haven't had any in about 6 weeks. I cracked some open today and there was a lot of carbonation on the glass, almost like soda water, but not as much, and tasted horrible. I tried the remaining 3 bottles and they all had these characteristics. I am guessing either the beer has expired or I had a run of 3 bad bottles I did not bottle correctly. Any thoughts or ideas?

awaggoner said:
I brewed my fist batch of beer ever in early October, which turned out phenomenal. However, i haven't had any in about 6 weeks. I cracked some open today and there was a lot of carbonation on the glass, almost like soda water, but not as much, and tasted horrible. I tried the remaining 3 bottles and they all had these characteristics. I am guessing either the beer has expired or I had a run of 3 bad bottles I did not bottle correctly. Any thoughts or ideas?

Its unlikely the beer has expired. Sounds like some form of contamination. If you pop the cap does it foam out the top? Also if you smell it does it have a weird chemical type smell? If so it sounds like you've got a contamination that could have occured anywhere in the brewing process.

Next brew make sure you sterilized/sanitize everything.

Good luck. I hope there is another explaination.

-Eric

Latest posts

Back