carbonation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianmot

Reaction score
Im pretty new to kegging (only 3-4 times) and have always force carbonated. 30psi, rocked back and forth on a towel for 10 minutes. Always had great success.

I decided to try to force carbonate into a keg and then bottle, having a clearer sediment free beer. yay. I saw a video on a post where someone took a crack racking cane and a #2 plug and filled his bottles that way. So i chill all my equipment and bottles, fill them and cap them. I know this isnt really the most efficient way but hey, its free. I will definitely be buying a beer gun if i plan on doing 50 beers.

So i decide to crack a delicious IPA open and... wait... its flat. I tried to figure out what happened and it could have been a million things. All point back to -> Taste the beer before you bottle.

So now im stuck with with 50 tasty, flat beers. What to do!? Can i toss some priming sugar in each bottle and re-cap? if so, how much? I honestly dont mind drinking the flat beer but the people i live with account for a bunch of the beer drinking in my house. dont think i could do all 50 any time soon.

Suggestions?

Your LHBS sells little sugar pills. If you really have no carbonation in there, 1 or 2 will give you enough sugar to carbonate (assuming you have yeast still active). However, these sugar pills are covered in nucleation points. So if you have even a little bit of carbonation you will be looking at a mini mentos and coke situation. If that is the case, then you will need to make a simple syrup and dose each bottle with an eye dropper. I'll leave the math of how many ml to you.

Since you filled these with a sediment free pour from the kegorator, you likely don't have enough yeast in each bottle to go back and recarb the bottles. You may need to additionally buy a neutral yeast, like S-05, make a yeast slurry, and use an eyedropper to add yeast to each bottle along with the carb tabs or sugar you use.

Hey people!
I calculated my priming sugar badly and have pried off the tops and will try again tomorrow with the sugar tabs idea. I have a bunch of 450 and 500ml bottles too, but these tabs are only enough for the 355 or 710 (1 and 2) ml bottles. Is there anyone who could help me with this eyedropper idea listed above or some other way to carb these up?

Since you filled these with a sediment free pour from the kegorator, you likely don't have enough yeast in each bottle to go back and recarb the bottles. You may need to additionally buy a neutral yeast, like S-05, make a yeast slurry, and use an eyedropper to add yeast to each bottle along with the carb tabs or sugar you use.

Unless that beer was in the keg for weeks before he transfered it to bottles there will be plenty of yeast left to carb. I've cold crashed primaries for almost a month and then bottled and they carbed up fine.

Latest posts

Back