Carbonation - or lack thereof

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JQhomebrew

Reaction score
I have done a couple All-Grain brews now, and on both of them I have had bad luck with carbonation. I followed the priming calculators online, and on the second batch I even decided to go a little on the heavier side (different sites gave different amounts for priming). I used Turbinado sugar to make the simple syrup for priming as opposed to the leftover Fizz Drops from my extract kits. Is Turbinado just not good for priming, or is the fact that it is a bit on the old side a factor?

Thanks.

Turbinado should work just fine for priming, and I don't think the age would impact it. I have only used corn sugar and table sugar for priming. How much sugar are you using and what is your beer volume? Also, make sure the bottles are conditioned at a temperature warm enough to carbonate.

For a 1 gallon Dry Irish Stout, I used about .5oz
For 1.5 gallon Bass Ale Cline, I used about .8oz

Had them conditioning in the same place as I have the bottles conditioning with Fizz Drops.

The quanity of sugar looks right for the styles. I'm not sure why you're having problems. How long have the bottle been carbonating, and are you getting any carbonation at all?

I always let them go for 2 weeks before chilling and opening them. he Bass seemed to carbonate a little more, but nothing worth mentioning.

if by turbinado you mean brown sugar, it has molases which is only about half fermentable, but just a coating. not sure if it would mater. should still have some carbonation, i would imagine.

Using the Brewer's Fiend priming calculator, I get 1.8 volumes. I figured 0.5 oz cane sugar and 68F for beer temp. When I tried 2 volumes, it seemed almost flat. Probably you just don't like beer at 1.8 volumes.

Good point. Dry Irish Stout is 1.9 per the Northern Brewer calculator, which is fairly low carbonation. Maybe the OP just needs to shoot for a moderate level. But I would still let them carbonate longer than 2 weeks to make sure all the priming sugar is consumed.

But I would still let them carbonate longer than 2 weeks to make sure all the priming sugar is consumed.
I agree. I would go for 3 weeks and at least 70F. And a week or two longer if it still isn't carbonated. But since the calculator shows 1.8 volumes, I wouldn't expect much carbonation.

Per the infamous @Revvy (I think) "21 days 72F" repeat the mantra.

Also, are you sure the bottles are securely sealed? Crimp caps on std not twist top bottles, cannot twist the caps by hand after crimping, test by having one upside down and see if it leaks as it carbonates, or seal in ziplock back with all squeezed out, sealed tight, see if bag fills with gas as bottle conditions, showing escaping CO2.

When you pour a mug of beer, are there any bubbles at all? When you open the bottle is there any hiss of released pressure?Sometimes my beer does not have much of a head and does not look especially carbonated, but it really is, with the telltale bubbles and mouth feel. If there is no release of pressure at all when you open a bottle, then I suspect it is you bottles or caps or bottling technique.

Back