Carbonation Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddylars

Reaction score
I just got my carbonation lid http://www.midwestsupplies.com/carbonating-lid-5-gallon-ball-lock-keg-0-5-micron-stone.html and hooked it up to a one of my hefeweizens at 12 psi ( at 35* F) and let it sit over night. This morning I poured off a sample and the beer was hardly carbonated at all... Has anyone else used one of these products? Any recommendations? Am I doing something wrong? I had the pressure release closed during this time. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Lars

At 12 psi and 35 degrees it will take a lot longer than overnight to carb up. I usually set at 12 psi at 41 degrees and see decent carbonation at 1 week or so. If you want quick carbonation you need to jack it up to 30 psi for 24-36 hours. A couple shakes would speed things along as well.

The directions say it should take between 6-8 hours. The idea is that the carbonation stone increases surface area so it should speed up the whole process...

Oh I didnt even realize. Well it also says if it is not carbed after 6 hours to wait another 4-6. I think that is what you should do.

I guess i'll wait another 4-6, but its been sitting with the stone for over 12 hours...

Back