Carbonation levels and CO2 charts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selloum

Reaction score
Hi, new member here. =)

I have been looking at information about the CO2 charts and I have a few questions:
1. Is there analytical data about how long it should take to reach a certain volume at a certain pressure and temperature?
I'm considering light beers/sodas for this question, and even plain water for that matter.
2. What is the relationship between carbonation to temperature and time?
For example, I have seen quite a bit of forced carbonation videos and sites explaining how you can get your beer or soda carbonated in a short period of time. Let's say I need a beer/soda to be at 2.80 volumes and my temperature is 0ºC (32ºF) and my CO2 tank PSI is at 11. Most say that it would take between 3 to 5 days, give or take. At what PSI value should I carbonate (@ 0ºC) to reduce that time in half to get the same 2.80 volume I want if I were to slow force carbonate it?
3. If I pressurize my keg at 11 PSI @ 0ºC and use the techniques to accelerate the carbonation (e.g.shaking, etc...) to get a volume of 2.80, how much time could I save approximately?

Thanks in advance!

Back