Carbonation issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punbrewing

Reaction score
I have made 3 batches so far as a home brewer. the first batch came out perfect.
the 2 batch was awful.
It was a nut brown and it did not carbonate and had this super sweet taste that was not very appetizing. I feel that the yeast did not consume the sugar.

The 3rd batch is what im asking questions about.
It is an imperial Pale Ale w/ apricot flavoring. Since bottling i have been storing it in the basement, which is about 75f at the highest and 65 at the coolest. rarely it will be warmer. Anyway one week after bottling i opened a bottle an tried the beer. It came out very sweet and not very carbonated. I also tried it at the second week. It tasted like blonde ambition from great south bay brewery here on long island, which was what i was going for. But it has a fairly weak pfft when opening the bottle and even the most of aggressive pours doesn't bring about a head.

What am i doing wrong and what could i being doing to remedy this?

Wait, give it more time. At least 3 weeks at 70 degrees is the best option or longer if you can have self restraint.

As for the second batch did you take a hydrometer reading? Or just waited a couple weeks then bottled?

Are you putting the bottle in the fridge for at least 48 hours before opening it? That's pretty key. Also make sure you're using the proper amount of sugar for the style, batch-size, and sugar type.

Back