Carbonation Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhouse Brewing

Reaction score
Can anyone assist with a weird carbonation issue that I’m having. I quick carb all my beers (homebrew) by kegging cold beer (36 degrees) and setting regulator to 35 psi for 48 hours, reduce to 20 psi for 4 hours (usually) depends on the beer. Then reset to 10 psi and the beer pours perfect but only for a few hours, then its about 1/2 foam. I don’t understand why it pours perfect for about half a day and then gets foamy especially since it stays at 10 psi after the quick carb. I can see a little (very little) co2 coming out of solution just at the shank. Once I open the tap then it’s foam. I have 10 foot 3/16 beer line in home built keezer with a fan. The line is coiled on top of the keg and there is no stratification (have already had that but resolved with the fan) and the beer temperature is a perfect 38 degrees. I don’t have any leaks (checked already) and therefore am stumped. My guess is that it’s slightly out of balance but if I reduce pressure anymore then my beer will lose carbonation. Same thing happened on my other keg and to fix I turned off the gas and degassed the beer a few times over a few hours. I get great pours on that keg but the beer is slightly under carbed for my taste (only get about 1/4” head). I don’t want to degas this keg but I’m getting about 1/2 glass of foam on every pour so I have to do something...

Greetings, @Redhouse Brewing, and welcome to Home Brew Talk :mug:

"Burst carbonation" can be tricky, and I'm pretty sure in this case you have been consistently over-carbonating your kegs using your particular technique, and it's putting them right on that red peak shown below.

forced_carbonation_plot.gif

I believe you're lingering far too long with the 35psi. Next time, try 30 hours instead of 48, then dial down to chart pressure*, release the keg space pressure, and let the keg equalize the carbonation for a couple/few days.

* Chart pressure: refer to our favorite carbonation table, find your beer temperature, run across that row to your desired carbonation level (expressed in Volumes of CO2, where 2.2-2.5 is fairly typical for most ales), then run up that column to find the proper gas pressure to hit and maintain that carbonation level...

Cheers!

I believe you're lingering far too long with the 35psi. Next time, try 30 hours instead of 48, then dial down to chart pressure*, release the keg space pressure, and let the keg equalize the carbonation for a couple/few days.

* Chart pressure: refer to our favorite carbonation table, find your beer temperature, run across that row to your desired carbonation level (expressed in Volumes of CO2, where 2.2-2.5 is fairly typical for most ales), then run up that column to find the proper gas pressure to hit and maintain that carbonation level...
@day_trippr , thank you for your quick reply. I will try that on next keg. I kinda thought it was over carbed but was thrown off by fact that it pours great for half a day before all the foam appears. Might be because I don’t release the pressure after reducing to 10psi so there must be too much residual pressure left over

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! and day_trippr's your man....just had to say "LOL" and i'm glad i got company!:mug:

Thanks! Yes day_trippr responded quickly and with great info. I’m def glad I switched to keg vs bottling but burst carb is a pain to get right. I did try set/forget once but choose to forget that method as it’s way to slow for me. I guess it’s time to add a third or fourth keg

[...]I guess it’s time to add a third or fourth keg

Totally :D

Seriously though, having the infrastructure to support a pipeline is a wonderful thing. You only need to have one backing keg per tap to enjoy the luxury of "set and forget" carbonation while simultaneously allowing your beers to cold-condition (lager) and naturally brighten over the time before you tap them...

Cheers! :mug:

Totally :D

having the infrastructure to support a pipeline is a wonderful thing. You only need to have one backing keg per tap to enjoy the luxury of "set and forget" carbonation while simultaneously allowing your beers to cold-condition (lager) and naturally brighten over the time before you tap them...

Cheers! :mug:

so true, the kegs always get really tasty and then whoosh empty. I’m def gonna add at least a third keg soon. I find myself buying beer (gasp) in between kegs sometimes. Getting a good pipeline going is the way to go. Plus I can brew more often - win/win.

Can anyone assist with a weird carbonation issue that I’m having. I quick carb all my beers (homebrew) by kegging cold beer (36 degrees) and setting regulator to 35 psi for 48 hours, reduce to 20 psi for 4 hours (usually) depends on the beer. Then reset to 10 psi and the beer pours perfect but only for a few hours, then its about 1/2 foam. I don’t understand why it pours perfect for about half a day and then gets foamy especially since it stays at 10 psi after the quick carb. I can see a little (very little) co2 coming out of solution just at the shank. Once I open the tap then it’s foam. I have 10 foot 3/16 beer line in home built keezer with a fan. The line is coiled on top of the keg and there is no stratification (have already had that but resolved with the fan) and the beer temperature is a perfect 38 degrees. I don’t have any leaks (checked already) and therefore am stumped. My guess is that it’s slightly out of balance but if I reduce pressure anymore then my beer will lose carbonation. Same thing happened on my other keg and to fix I turned off the gas and degassed the beer a few times over a few hours. I get great pours on that keg but the beer is slightly under carbed for my taste (only get about 1/4” head). I don’t want to degas this keg but I’m getting about 1/2 glass of foam on every pour so I have to do something...
I agree with @day_trippr that you are probably over carbed. I use 30 psi for 36 hours when starting with cold beer. Also, not venting the headspace when lowering the pressure can lead to additional over carbonation.

Brew on :mug:

I think @day_trippr has you heading in the right direction.

My process for quick carbing: rack beer to keg at room temp, place in kegerator (38 degrees) and CO2 purge, pressure to 25psi for 48 hours. Lay keg on side and gently rock for 2 minutes (3-4 times during last 24 hours). Return to serving pressure (I use 8-10 psi depending on the beer).

I get great pours for the whole keg every time. Enjoy!

Back