Carbonation Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVAL21

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled a Golden Belgian Strong Ale (12.66% ABV) back on April 4th. It has now been over 3 weeks and I opened one just to check how it was coming along and to my surprise it is flat. Tastes fine but very flat. I have brewed a bunch but I have never had this problem. I used 4 oz of priming sugar mixed in with 2 cups of water before I bottled. With such a high alcohol amount do you think I should wait longer? any input would be appreciated.

I bottled a Golden Belgian Strong Ale (12.66% ABV) back on April 4th. It has now been over 3 weeks and I opened one just to check how it was coming along and to my surprise it is flat. Tastes fine but very flat. I have brewed a bunch but I have never had this problem. I used 4 oz of priming sugar mixed in with 2 cups of water before I bottled. With such a high alcohol amount do you think I should wait longer? any input would be appreciated.
You can wait longer, but I use a bottling yeast that handles higher abv without adding flavors.

How much did you bottle. Ive done 5 gallon brews . Usually Ales and it calls for 5oz of priming sugar . I go 3-4 weeks and have had great results.

The yeast in this batch may be struggling with the high abv. I've had this happen several times with yeast I use regularly where for bottling it struggles (one Graff took 3 months to properly carbonate)

Or the sugar may not have been properly distributed. Some bottles may have gotten more or less sugars.

What is the temperature where the bottles are conditioning. I would expect longer and maybe the need for a more alcohol tolerant yeast. If it is under 65 degrees where you have your bottles it may take much longer.

Sometimes it just takes longer for high gravity brews to bottle carb. The colder they are the longer it will take. Be paitent. :)

One of the smartest tips I ever read was to include one 12 ounce plastic soda bottle in the mix on bottling day and use that to determine how the batch is carbonating. Give it a squeeze and once it becomes almost too hard to compress the batch should be ready.

Cuts down on "not there yet" pours...

Cheers!

I made 5 gallons. I’m made this many times before and by 3 weeks it’s very carbonated.
What's changed? Fermenting cooler this time? The yeast not healthy enough to carbonate the beer? Leaky bottle caps? Not too many other things I could think of.

I myself have an Old Chub Clone which is at bottles at 65-70 for 3 weeks and flat. I’m guessing needs more time.

I think day_trippr has some golden advise for “not yet pours” no one likes flat beer!

Flat beer is better than no beer....

Or you could just buy some if you're impatient I guess...

Bottled on 4-4-18 and my beer is still flat. Stored beer at 68-75 degrees and been well over a month. Will these eventually carb with time?

Bottled on 4-4-18 and my beer is still flat. Stored beer at 68-75 degrees and been well over a month. Will these eventually carb with time?

We'll need a lot more information. Recipe, process, how long fermenting, batch size, amount of priming sugar, what kind, etc.

One of the smartest tips I ever read was to include one 12 ounce plastic soda bottle in the mix on bottling day and use that to determine how the batch is carbonating. Give it a squeeze and once it becomes almost too hard to compress the batch should be ready.

Cuts down on "not there yet" pours...

Cheers!
thats a great idea

I think that carbonation temperature must be on high end for yeast (over 22'C for Ale).
My beers carbonate in bottles for less of week on 22 to 27'C and 6g/L table sugar. On last batch I use gelatin and 3g/L sugar and carbonation is not enough, but still is not flat.

You didn’t add more yeast to a 12.6% beer? Yeah that’s why it’s not carbonated. Your primary yeast is toast.

2 grams CBC-1 or Champgne Yeast along with your sugar and she would have been carbed in two weeks probably.

You didn’t add more yeast to a 12.6% beer? Yeah that’s why it’s not carbonated. Your primary yeast is toast.

2 grams CBC-1 or Champgne Yeast along with your sugar and she would have been carbed in two weeks probably.

I am just baffled. I made a second one reaching 12.8% and that one had a bit more carbonation but still closer to flat. Also I made a honey brown ale about 6% and that one was about half way carbonated. I've researched and came up with either tired yeast or i didn't put enough priming sugar. I only used about 4oz. of priming sugar which is what I always use and never have any issues.

Back