carbonation drops or sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedasnake

Reaction score
What method of carbonation would you recommend for a first time brewer going with carbonation drops or using sugar, is one faster and or more efficient, is there any plusses or minuses to ether one?
thanks for the help

I suggest priming with the sugar. You can inoculate all of your wort at once, and I have heard mixed reviews on the carb drops. Why bottle then have to add something else to the bottle before capping? Pllus I would think the carb drops are more expensive than corn sugar.

Using corn sugar is faster and more efficient. Add your priming sugar to your bottling bucket before racking your beer so that it mixes well. I have used carb. tabs when just doing a few bottles while kegging and they do work well, but if you're doing a full batch, then use priming sugar.

Yeah, carb drops are more expensive. The only reason I use them is when I want to bottle just one or two bottles of something that's supposed to condition for another month, but I can't wait. Then I can rack the beer into a secondary, and bottle one just to see how it's going. Patience is a virtue, and I am not virtuous.

Another vote for sugar, if for no other reason than the ability to dial in your desired carbonation level exactly.

I just bottled a gallon about a month ago and for the first time used carbing tabs and thought it was super easy...no measuring or boiling just bottle and drop them in and seemed to have worked great, and I have the peace of mind that they should all carb at the same rate. Its all a matter of preference as long as the desired result is reached...cheers:mug:

Back