Carbonation and mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
Just a quick tip that I've recently discovered (and no doubt MANY already know)...

If your beer feels thin and tastes a little "watery" try boosting carbonation. I have a stout that's been carbonated to 1.90 volumes (the same as my previous stouts) that I've been rather unhappy with. It has tasted very thin and watery. I increased pressure from 4 PSI to to 7 PSI, which is an increase from about 1.90 volumes to about 2.20 volumes, and it has completely changed this beer. That .3 volumes has made a world of difference. It feels thicker and more flavorful. It didn't taste under-carbonated before, but it definitely was. This beer has gone from about a C to a B+.

If you're underwhelmed by the mouthfeel of your beer, check your carbonation. Don't be afraid of going above or below the "standard" for the style.

This is how my Irish red ale is, but it's bottled. Any suggestions on how to bump bottle carbonation

Try gently rousing a few bottles, keep them at 70 or warmer for 3-4 days. Put em in the fridge for 3-4 days and try them. 66 might be a bit cool.

Latest posts

Back