Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bel

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to keg my first batch. I have a three keg system as u can see from the pic. My question is, can I carbonate my keg using one of my three lines off the manifold or should I take the main line out for carbing and then reconnect and hook keg up to one of the three lines?

image-25700491.jpg

You can carb with any of those lines, but if you have other kegs hooked up make sure to turn gas off to them so you don't over carb them while bringing new beer up to carb level.

Just put my carboy in the kegerator at 38 degrees. How long should I cold crash?

Usually 24 - 48 hours, you just are looking for the yeast to floculate out and the beer to become clear. Some people see cold crashing as a necessary step others simply rack strait to keg without crashing their beer depends on yeast strain and beer style.

Depending on the fridge, it can take a couple of days for five gallons of beer to drop from fermentation temps down to a good cold-crash temperature (34°F or so). The longer you leave it at the terminal temperature the more particulate matter will drop out. You'll see this as a stratification process with the beer at the top of the vessel markedly clearly than the volume below, and that line will move down with time...

Cheers!

Back