Carbonating In The Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
I've got a few questions related to this topic but heres some background. I have started mostley fermenting under pressure in a 70-72F enviroment and have just been leaving enough PSI (10-15) on the spunding valve to know its all sealed up and not really do much carbing.

My questions are:

1. If I have it at 15 PSI now (70F) and move it the fridge (34F) should expect the PSI to drop?

2. Are there risks to carbonating in the primary? Will it be really yeasty, etc?

3. Once carbed in the primary can I transfer to a serving keg without issues?

Thanks in advance!

1) I can say for sure when you refrigerate the pressure will drop. 2) I have no experience. 3) I would think you would run into foaming issues during your transfer. Are you just trying to shorten your time to 'market'? You can carb in the serving keg pretty quickly after the beer gets chilled.

Yep, pressure will drop in the fridge.

Your question reminds me that I've been thinking about fermenting in the keg and serving in the same keg. No transferring at all. Will just switch keg lids (from one with an air lock to a regular one) when fermentation is done. I went to a brew pub once and they served beer right out of their fermenters. Ever since then it's been in the back of my mind to try that. Just 'cause.

Figure I'll bend the dip tube to make it a bit higher than usual so it'll stay out of the yeast cake. Then just bend it back afterwards. And I'll definitely cold crash thoroughly. I'll lose some volume doing it this way, but I don't care.

Now if anyone has any advice, please chime in!

I just fermented a NEIPA under 17 psi at 67*f. After kegging and chilling to serving temp(38f) it was down to 12 psi. Make sure the keg you are transfering to has about 5 psi in to prevent foaming and push the beer out at about 12 psi. i have done clear beers under 15 psi and they werecleaner than normal(less estery/yeasty). Building pressure in the fermenter does reportedly stress out the yeast, but ive washed and repitched with out off flavor.

Back