Carbonating and Bottling Homemade Hard Cider Using Purefizz Soda Maker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenganis

Reaction score
Hello,

I am making hard cider for the first time! It is currently fermenting.

Although this is my first time, and I will be happy with a dry still cider, my goal will eventually be to get a sweet sparkling cider.

I am trying to find the easier way (not necessarily the cheapest) to do so. I am talking least dangerous (I don't want to put my bottles of cider in hot water if possible to kill the yeast), but also I'd like to avoid adding sugar at the time of bottling to get sparkling cider (I don't want bottle bombs :drunk:, especially because I would like to give bottles as gifts and therefore they might not be in a fridge).

This leaves force carbonating. I know nothing about kegs, have never drunk beer from one or anything.

Once the yeast becomes asleep (once it has eaten all the sugar in the juice I am using), my plan to get it sweet is to use xylitol.

Now I have the issue of carbonating my drink left, and since I don't want to add sugar, I am thinking the best bet is force carbonation. My easy (but not cheap, I know) solution would be to use Purefizz Soda Maker ( http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/gadgets-purefizz-soda-maker-review.html ), which can be used to add carbonation to liquids other than water (wine, juice, etc...).

Do you guys think this might work?

Also, if I do get a decent sparkling cider using the pure fizz soda maker, I'd love to bottle it and have my family taste it. Would that be safe (or would there still be a risk of a bottle bomb?)? If so, do you think the cider would become flat by the time my friends/family drinks it (a few weeks later maybe).

I know these are somewhat odd and newbie questions, but hopefully I can get your help with these! Eventually, I will work my way up to better ways of getting a sweet and sparkling cider, but for now, I'd like some input on whether you think this might work!

Thanks! :mug:

Adding sugar to carbonate will NOT create bottle bombs. You use just enough sugar to carbonate, and no more. It's a controlled amount, and it's impossible for them to be bottle bombs if minimal care is taken. The bottles do not have to be stored cold either.

I'd be more concerned about giving gifts with xylitol in them, as it is a laxative for some people. As long as you tell them, of course that is fine.

I'm not sure something like that link would work- how do you get it carbed in the bottle and cap it, and keep the fizz? You can't transfer it to another bottle, as it will oxidize the cider (and ruin it) and/or lose carbonation. Carbonated beverages don't hold the fizz when transferred by siphon, and pouring it will ruin it by oxidation anyway.

Thank you for your response!

I used S-04 yeast and 1 gallon WholeFoods Apple Juice for my preparation. I did not add any sugar. What would be the best way to get it sparkling (how much of what should I add?) but also sweet in the end? Every "recipe" I read seems to have different instructions?

I used S-04 yeast and 1 gallon WholeFoods Apple Juice for my preparation. I did not add any sugar. What would be the best way to get it sparkling (how much of what should I add?) but also sweet in the end? Every "recipe" I read seems to have different instructions?

1 ounce of sugar, by weight, per gallon would be the proper "dose" to carb up cider.

Making it sweet is tougher, as you'd have to use nonfermentable sugar. I don't like sweet things at all, so that's not been something I've ever done but there are nonfermentable sugars (like the xylitol you mentioned). I like my wines, meads, and ciders dry so I've never explored a sweet carbonated version. If you don't want to bottle pasteurize, you are limited to how to sweeten of course.

I don't see any problem at all with your plan. I carbonate my cider with carbonater caps (from Liquid Bread) and pour into bottles and cap them. You do lose a bit of carbonation in the process but it works well.

I would just sweeten to taste with an artificial sweetener and add the amount of sugar that Yooper suggested. Bottle and let it carb up. If youre really worried about bottle bombs, just bottle in plastic bottles. They could still make a mess, but no one bleeds.

I don't see any problem at all with your plan. I carbonate my cider with carbonater caps (from Liquid Bread) and pour into bottles and cap them. You do lose a bit of carbonation in the process but it works well.

Maylar, Yooper mentioned that transferring to another bottle would oxidize the cider (and ruin it). Have you found that it works just okay with your system?

I am also looking for mini draft systems including a keg, co2 tank and everything I'd need to force carbonate and serve (regulator, anything else). Ideally, the set up would also allow for the use of a beer gun.

Does anyone know what all the parts to a drafting system are, and also where I could buy one that already includes everything (that is all ready to go?) in a kit? The smaller the whole set up the better, my roommate won't be too happy otherwise :)

Thank you!

Maylar, thank you for your post. Yooper mentioned that you can't transfer it to another bottle, as it will oxidize the cider (and ruin it) and/or lose carbonation.
It sounds like you have not experienced this problem?

Eventually I'd like to get a mini draft system (the smaller the better, due to my thinking that my roommate might not be wanting a giant keg in the apt) that includes the CO2 tank for force carbonation. Do you know where I can buy the whole kit? I feel like most online supplies stores have the components and I am not sure I'd be able to assemble it all easily or know what to buy...

Thank you!

Maylar, thank you for your post. Yooper mentioned that you can't transfer it to another bottle, as it will oxidize the cider (and ruin it) and/or lose carbonation.
It sounds like you have not experienced this problem?

I'm relatively new at this myself, and I don't know what "ruined" cider is. I make small batches that get consumed rather quickly, so whatever oxidization has taken place if any hasn't been a problem for me. At least not that I can tell. Maybe if I was aging them it'd be different. Gonna have to ask Yoop what she means by ruined some time.

My force carb method has been via a small CO2 tank and plastic Carbonater caps from Liquid Bread - http://www.liquidbread.com/

Still experimenting with how much pressure to use and for how long, but it works. Pouring from the PET bottles into glass beer bottles makes some foam and you lose a bit of carbonation but it does work.

Eventually I'd like to get a mini draft system (the smaller the better, due to my thinking that my roommate might not be wanting a giant keg in the apt) that includes the CO2 tank for force carbonation. Do you know where I can buy the whole kit? I feel like most online supplies stores have the components and I am not sure I'd be able to assemble it all easily or know what to buy...

Thank you!

Kegging is outside of my realm of experience. Better to post a question in the kegging sub forum. My setup with a couple carbonater caps, a 5 lb CO2 tank and regulator was about $175 total.

I just bought a 2.5 gallon keg, a dual gage regulator, and the lines off homebrewing.org, but paid a pretty penny for the stuff because I wanted a new keg and I couldn't fit a 5 gallon keg on my fridge (the 2.5s are just as expensive as the 5s). Kegs are easy enough to set up. I'd recommend it.

If you're uncertain of what you need, call a store and talk to customer service. Let them know you're considering buying but don't know how to get started and would like some advice. Forums are great for help, but it is hard to beat an actual live conversation.

I'm relatively new at this myself, and I don't know what "ruined" cider is. I make small batches that get consumed rather quickly, so whatever oxidization has taken place if any hasn't been a problem for me. At least not that I can tell. Maybe if I was aging them it'd be different. Gonna have to ask Yoop what she means by ruined some time.

My force carb method has been via a small CO2 tank and plastic Carbonater caps from Liquid Bread - http://www.liquidbread.com/

Still experimenting with how much pressure to use and for how long, but it works. Pouring from the PET bottles into glass beer bottles makes some foam and you lose a bit of carbonation but it does work.

Kegging is outside of my realm of experience. Better to post a question in the kegging sub forum. My setup with a couple carbonater caps, a 5 lb CO2 tank and regulator was about $175 total.

How long do you keep the bottles for before drinking them? Are they remaining good for a while? I think "ruining" them, as explained by Yooper means that they get oxidized and that technically is not good... Finally, when you open the bottles, are they still carbonated enough?

Thanks!

How long do you keep the bottles for before drinking them? Are they remaining good for a while? I think "ruining" them, as explained by Yooper means that they get oxidized and that technically is not good... Finally, when you open the bottles, are they still carbonated enough?

Thanks!

I've been making small batches. One gallon yields 8 or 9 12 oz bottles. They carb up fine with the carbonater caps. I keep them in the fridge and they don't last long around here, 2 weeks max. I've been experimenting with recipes and every batch has been different, but if oxidized cider tastes like vinegar then that hasn't happened to mine.

Pasteurization has been the only effective route I've found for sparkling + sweet, unless you want to use artificial sweeteners.
Links to one of my pasteurization sagas, with a cautionary tale about explosions included for good measure:
http://www.ciderhomebrewing.com/2011/04/pasteurization.html
http://www.ciderhomebrewing.com/2011/04/pasteurization-experiment-part-2.html
http://www.ciderhomebrewing.com/2011/05/pasteurization-explosion.html
http://www.ciderhomebrewing.com/2011/05/review-super-brown-sugar-vs-back.html

I've been making small batches. One gallon yields 8 or 9 12 oz bottles. They carb up fine with the carbonater caps. I keep them in the fridge and they don't last long around here, 2 weeks max. I've been experimenting with recipes and every batch has been different, but if oxidized cider tastes like vinegar then that hasn't happened to mine.

I believe it would taste like paper or wet cardboard at least that's how it tastes in beer.

to the OP I suggest taking Yoopers advise she knows what she's talking about.... also I watched the video for that carbonater cap that looks much more difficult than adding some sugar capping it & letting it sit.

With the proper amount of priming sugar, & as long as primary fermentation has completely ended before you bottle there is no risk of bombs......

I believe it would taste like paper or wet cardboard at least that's how it tastes in beer.

to the OP I suggest taking Yoopers advise she knows what she's talking about.... also I watched the video for that carbonater cap that looks much more difficult than adding some sugar capping it & letting it sit.

With the proper amount of priming sugar, & as long as primary fermentation has completely ended before you bottle there is no risk of bombs......

Oxidized cider and white wine first starts to darken, turning brownish. Then, it gets a "sherry" or brandy-like flavor, sort of sweet and not really all that bad. But it's downhill quickly from there, and in severe cases tastes and smells like wet cardboard- the kind of cardboard that is on the back of school tablets. Um, not that I was that kid in the back who sucked on or ate that stuff, of course. I just mean that is what I heard somewhere. :D

Back