Carbonated Applewein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR-Josh

Reaction score
So here's my idea, but after the back story.

I am in the process of performing a science experiment. I had a Mr Beer cask lying around so I bought 2 gal of 100% apple juice from the store. I put about 2 cups of table sugar into this and shook it good. I then pitched an 11g packet of british ale yeast on top. It fermented in a room at 70F and peak fermentation got to 74F. It is at exactly one week of primary fermentation. I did not take any readings other than temperature. There is so much trub in the cask that it covers the spout.

I am curious so I drew a sample from the spout and put it in a shot glass. The smell was not so pleasant. The taste was interesting. I took another sample and liked it minus the smell. I'm guessing the smell will go away with time.

So my idea is to do a 5 gal batch. I'd like to add enough sugar to get the apple juice up to 1.080 and stop fermentation at 1.01 to get me around 8.9% ABV. I plan to use the same yeast and amount that I did before (11g british ale yest). After putting the primary in the fridge for a couple days I'd like to keg it. I'd just hook it up to the same pressures I keep my beer at for a week or so and I think that should get me where I want to be. Unless someone here can see a fatal flaw in what I'm doing?

That's almost exactly what I just did - except that I pitched WLP775.

I used 4 pounds of organic cane sugar to get the OG to 1.080. I halted fermentation at 1.015. The result is semi-sweet, and not at all jet fuel-like. I froze my jugs to make sure the yeast really went dormant and then shifted the jugs to the fridge. I took a reading and they're still sound asleep (FG hasn't budged).

Can't help with the kegging part though. I've been too busy drinking it fresh from the fridge.

im gonna be making a hard cider tomorrow a version of edworts cider i was thinking about adding some caramel any thoughts?

For caramel I suggest using some crystal malt, it gives the best flavour.

i wasnt planning on doing any cooking for the cider im making basically adding 5gal of 100%apple juice/cider 2.5lbs of brown sugar yeast nut and yeast and let it ride from there. How could/would i incrop crystal malt into this batch?:confused:

Just steep some in water (or maybe apple juice?) for a while then add to the fermenter. I'm just saying, this is the easiest way to go because there is no preservatives/oils to worry about. Of course, you could always caramelise some sugar instead, or use some caramel flavouring from the brewshop.

Back