Carbonate Warm; Serve Cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperlester

Reaction score
I'm building a carbonating rig to allow me to carbonate my full kegs before putting them into the keezer/kegerator. The basement temperature is around 61F year round (occasionally higher/lower but 8-10F). My understanding is that the only difference that temperature makes in regards to carbonation is CO2 solubility, which leads to higher pressures required to reach the same equilibrium (and therein volume of CO2).

I realize different beers should have different carbonation levels, so these two are just examples that I'm hoping someone can tell me if my science is sound.

Beer A is warm carbonated at 61F with 14PSI to reach ~1.8 volumes.
Beer B is warm carbonated at 61F with 23PSI to reach ~2.4 volumes.

After 2-3 weeks (or longer), when space is available in the kegerator, I'll move kegs into the kegerator/keezer.

Beer A is dispensed at 45F with 6.5PSI to maintain ~1.8 volumes.
Beer B is dispensed at 45F with 14PSI to maintain ~2.4 volumes.

Does my plan/math check out, in that a volume of CO2 at 61F is the same thing as a volume of CO2 at 45F? If not, please help me understand so I can avoid problems tapping kegs and serving shortly thereafter.

I think it checks out at a high level, but you may not be able to count on full carbonation in 2 weeks. My understanding is that the warmer the temperature the longer it takes. Also count on a day or two after moving to the keezer before serving. Not only does it take a while to get a full keg of beer down from cellar temp to serving temp, but it seems to take a while to "settle".

I think it checks out at a high level, but you may not be able to count on full carbonation in 2 weeks. My understanding is that the warmer the temperature the longer it takes.
Conversely, if you add priming sugar to your keg, the warmer the temperature, the shorter it takes.
It also saves on CO2 and scavenges oxygen introduced in the transfer, for a longer lasting product.
61F might be too low for many yeasts though.

Conversely, if you add priming sugar to your keg, the warmer the temperature, the shorter it takes.
It also saves on CO2 and scavenges oxygen introduced in the transfer, for a longer lasting product.
61F might be too low for many yeasts though.

Aye - I've considered using a spunding valve and adding priming sugar, but I don't have a place warm enough that I'm allowed to keep the kegs to carb. Most beers don't last long enough for oxygen transfer to be much of a concern.

Aye - I've considered using a spunding valve and adding priming sugar, but I don't have a place warm enough that I'm allowed to keep the kegs to carb. Most beers don't last long enough for oxygen transfer to be much of a concern.

You would not need a spunding valve. Add the calculated amount of priming sugar and it will finish at the correct carbonation.

61F might take a little bit longer to carbonate, but it will indeed carbonate at 61 with any yeast you are likely to use. It may take 3 weeks - a month for some, but it will carbonate. My guess is that you'll usually be carbonated at ~3 weeks (I do recommend seating the lid with CO2, purching the headspace, then starting with ~20psi when leave it)

Latest posts

Back