Carbing multiple beers at once

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
This coming Friday I plan to keg these beers up that I have listed below. I will be storing these in my basement at around 60-65 degrees for a while longer while I save up to buy a bigger chest freezer and the beer side of the kegs.

I have a 8 port distribution manifold with a single reg that I will be using as a carbing station. Any of you guys have a shooting guess what would be a good starting point to set my reg PSI at with these multiple styles? My first guess would be 25-30PSI for 2.5 volumes at 62*

My keggerator upstairs has separate regs that I use so I don't have much experience with carbing multiple beers with a single pressure of gas. These won't be messed with for over a month or longer so I will be going with the set and forget method. I can fine tune the carbing pressure once I get the keezer set up, but I would at least like to have them in the ballpark of being ready once that happens.

These are the OG of the brews, I have not recorded the final gravity yet for any of them, but they are as done as they are going to be.

1. Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen 1.050
2. Farmhouse Saison 1.062
3. Abita Amber 1.046
4. New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale 1.052
5. Gaarden Hoe 1.049
6. NB - Luckiest Man pale ale 1.053
7. Samuel Adams Summer Ale 1.060
8. Reissdorf Kolsch 1.050

I unboxed the fellas today for a quick peek. All nice and clear, just waiting on their new home.

i-rDStxPZ-L.jpg

I agree. 20PSI for 2.2 volumes is close enough to be perfectly drinkable when they end up in the serving fridge, then you could fine tune it from there. From what I hear it's going to take longer than usual to carbonate if they aren't chilled. If you've got the time to wait an extra week or two it shouldn't really matter. It will be more a matter of carbonating at 60+ degrees rather than how many kegs are off of a manifold.

On the topic of having time, have you ever keg primed? I do rather often to try and save myself CO2. Not that it's terribly expensive, but the only place that offers reasonable prices on refills I've found clashes with my work schedule. It's easy enough to do. Use a chart or calculator to find the amount of sugar, cut it to 1/2, add to keg (with boiled water if you prefer), rack, seat the lid, purge the headspace + pressurize the keg, and leave it sit.

I must say I like the space:stuff ratio you have going on. Looks like you can actually move around in there. Or get to what you need to without digging.

I have a full unfinished basement. About 1500sqft down there I guess. No heat/AC, water or drainage. I do have plenty of power and a secondary exit with windows. Has potential for a electric brew if I could manage some damn drainage. This is a rental, so I don't have the luxury of changing much stuff. Although, I'm sure I could plumb some water in, I'm still left with how to get rid of it.

Secondary problem is it's a wet basement. The house is 46 years old and comes with it's share of basement problems. It's a nice old farmhouse with about 9 acres of land. Hardwood floors, new roof, 3 bay shop and two car garage. 3450sqft in all. Two fireplaces and a place for a wood burning stove downstairs. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. I'll settle for a lil inconvenience. lol

Back on topic, I have thought about using sugar to prime with, but I don't have a absolute date yet for this crawfish boil and wanted to ensure I had them carbed up with plenty of time to spare.

I still have to cough up the funds for 8 taps and a chest freezer, not to mention the cost for the rest of the boil. So, chances are these will be setting still in the basement for a cpl months if not longer.

What I was most worried about was just having different styles of beer. I know I'll not get all the way done, but if I can shave off some time by having them almost there, that will be good enough.

Next step is to find a Craigs list freezer. Despite the cost, I won't lie, it's still better than looking at the pallet full of empty bottles I would have had to clean and fill had I not decided to keg.

Thanks for the replies.

Ken

I too was distracted from your question by my jealousy of all your space. Do you brew in a barn or something?

I too was distracted from your question by my jealousy of all your space. Do you brew in a barn or something?

lol. I have a shop which sits adjacent to the house. However, I brew in a attached garage. Nothing special, just open space. My ferment chamber is also in the garage. I am one of the few who chooses to secondary, so I'll place those in the basement to finish out. Since there is nothing down there but two water heaters and two AC/Heat units, it's wide open space.

If it would only stay dry during a hard rain storm, it would have so much potential for a electric brew house and man cave. But with me having to push the water to the outside drain every time it rains hard, I can't see me ever doing much with it but use it for storage.

Back