Carbing a keg at room temp set it and forget it method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theciderkid

Reaction score
I want to carb a beer before I chill and serve it I have an extra tank and a regulator (that is currently stuck at 20 psi) can find a lot of information on this can anyone help?

20 psi may be a little low for carbing at room temp. However it will still add some level of carbonation.

There are charts online, to tell the exact psi to set for volumes of CO2 vs temp.

As long as you are within 5-10 PSI I would just do it, if you have no other way of carbonating and will have to wait after last keg kicks

I chill for 2 days with no CO2...then take out, burp to get all Oxygen in head space out, bump up to 32 psi and put back in fridge for another 2 days. Then just disconnect CO2 connect, burp all CO2 out, and try to poor. If heady, let sit and keep burping until good flow. If under pressured, the hook back up to CO2 at around 2-4 psi and poor (I don't mind a slow poor).

I want to carb a beer before I chill and serve it I have an extra tank and a regulator (that is currently stuck at 20 psi) can find a lot of information on this can anyone help?

I do something similar with a line coming off the manifold inside the keezer to the outside as an auxiliary line. Useful to have quick access for seating lids and purging. I recently started to use it to partially carbonate things. Only 14 PSI coming out of it so things are around 1.5 volumes maximum. But it is a good head start so that it takes less time once it's in the keezer.

Be certain that your regulator is stuck outputting 20 PSI and it's not just the gauge that's stuck. You could be in for a nasty surprise.

OP - I do that all the time. In fact, I choose to set my regulator at 20psi (assuming 65F) and this gives me about 2.0 volumes. The beer then runs through 10ft of 3/16 bev line into my single tap beer dispenser (cool run through a water bath). Comes out perfect.

Be certain that your regulator is stuck outputting 20 PSI and it's not just the gauge that's stuck. You could be in for a nasty surprise.

^ That's what I was thinking.
Here is a carbonation chart. As was mentioned 20 psi will only get you about 2.0 vols, you'll need more like 30 psi for average carb levels if that's what you're aiming for. The other thing you can do is naturally carb with sugar. Make sure to seal the lid first with some pressure (I use keg lube for extra insurance) and you only need about half the usual priming sugar for the batch.

Back