Carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbzm

Reaction score
Back sweetened my cider and let it carb in the bottles I then pasteurized it but when I did 2 bottles 1 blew the cork and one came out great! Anyone have this problem with blowing corks? If so how can I minimize it? I'm thinking I should have taken the pot off the burner and they simply just got too hot

For carbonated beverages, you NEVER should use corks. They will pop off under pressure. You need to use bottles that can hold pressure, along with caps. If you're corking, you need the special champagne corks and cages.

Well that explains it ...if its cold crashed out then back sweetened can I pasteurize is it or should I just leave em in the bottles as is? I bottled a bunch today and was going to pasteurize it by tomorrow or the next day

Well that explains it ...if its cold crashed out then back sweetened can I pasteurize is it or should I just leave em in the bottles as is? I bottled a bunch today and was going to pasteurize it by tomorrow or the next day

As long as they aren't corked, they'd be fine. The corks should pop out as soon as any pressure is built up, so you can't use them for carbonated beverages.

I bottled a bunch with corks this afternoon wasn't aware of that. If I leave cider as is ate they just gonna all blow out even tho I cold crashed and back sweetened I don't really want to re bottle this batch

Also what about bottles that just have a screw on lid??? Will they hold pressure

I bottled a bunch with corks this afternoon wasn't aware of that. If I leave cider as is ate they just gonna all blow out even tho I cold crashed and back sweetened I don't really want to re bottle this batch

Maybe. If they start to carb up, the corks could pop out. You could try sticking them all in a cold place so they don't carb up but that may be risky.

It's too late now, but next time remember that wine bottles are not designed to hold pressure, and neither are corks. That's why champagne is in a thicker bottle with a different cork and a cage. For carbing cider, beer bottles with caps works best.

I have the bottles down in my cellar it's pretty cool ...hopefully all the live yeast is pretty much done from the cold crashing I did in 37 degrees all night ... It was a little dry so I added a bit of brown sugar and fresh cider guess I will just hope it doesn't carb up any and drink it as is

Latest posts

Back