Caravan Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballzac

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-04
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 65F
Tasting Notes
Chocolate and roast in the nose, with a wisp of smoke lurking around.
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
0.45 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
3.00 kg Smoked Malt (3.0 SRM)
1.00 kg Oats, Rolled (not instant) (1.0 SRM)
0.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)
0.25 kg Roasted Barley (600.0 SRM)
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
0.20 kg Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
60.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.80%] (60 min)
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

Single infusion mash 60 minutes @154F

Roast the oats in the oven at 356F until golden (45 min), stirring occassionally. Cook in 4.6L of EXTRA water to make a thin porridge. Grind the roasted barley in coffee grinder until dust. Cool the porridge to 154F, stirring occassionally to avoid a 'crust' forming. Add about 1L of cold water to help cool the oats and thin out the 'porridge'. Begin mash, first adding the rice hulls to the water, then adding the roasted barley and porridge to the top of the mash and mixing through. Pitch yeast at 75F and cool to 65F.

The smoked malt I used was weyermann. It's the only rauchmalt available to me. It is not very smokey, and didn't produce the result I was expecting, but the results are superb. The hint of smoke supports the roast flavour of the barley without become a major flavour component in itself. Much more smoke in the nose than the palate, but still not enough to immediately identify it as smoke.

This stout is very well balanced and drinkable. I think it would be nice with a smokier rauchmalt, but it would make it a different beer. As it is, it is an oatmeal stout, not a smoke beer.

Back